Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd October 2008, 07:40 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Hudiedao

I haven't had much to offer up of late as I have been away for too long from home. The upside of my return is this lovely pair of Chinese swords waiting for me at the Post Office.

Although I haven't found the right light just yet to photograph the steel, it does have lovely laminations in the blades. The rosewood handles are lovely too and are in very good condition, exact age...I do not know, but would be happy to hear from those who might.

They are very well balanced in the hand and tip to tip they measure 23 1/2 inches, of which 18 3/4 is solid blade with a 3/8inch spine tapering to a nasty point. What I like about the tang of these and others I have seen is the pyramid style peened tang, does anyone know why it is done so? For restoration of the shorter pair I have I would like to know more about the peening of tang in this fashion.

For comparision I have provided side by side images of another smaller pair I have here(the ones I wish to restore), they measure 17 inches overall which is the more typical size encountered.

Chris I will get the other shuangdao down to weigh them soon and post it in the relevant thread and Kurt, sorry for the delay, you package will be away as soon as I get a moment away from work, not forgotten and thanks for your patience.

I look forward to hearing comments on these be they good or bad.

thanks

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 01:30 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default The right light

I finally found the time and in the right light to photograph the steel in the blades of these knives.
One other question is raised too, these are known as Hudiedao, should and or are they also to be call hudieshuangdao when is a back to back pair such as these?

regards

Gav
Attached Images

Old 8th November 2008, 03:53 PM   #3
fearn

Not an expert, but since the hudiedao are typically used in pairs, I think they keep the name.

That's a neat set you have there! What's also good is that they're properly built, in that the tip is in line with the grip so that you can stab effectively with them. More often, especially with modern examples, the tip is offline, making stabs ineffective.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Default great observation

Thanks Fearn,

Great observation with visual lines drawn to the hilt for stabbing purposes.

I do ask about the correct naming as I have seen these used as single weapons and built as single weapons, often used with a shield, this is why I ask about the double reference.

Gav