nice keris and sarong.... ganjawulung maybe from another blade
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 03:37 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
nice keris and sarong.... ganjawulung maybe from another blade
Marco, these are not the best images to make any assessments by so i've tried to make this image more visible. I am wondering why you think the gonjo might have originated from a different blade. Is it that it appears to have a slightly darker in color?
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 08:42 AM   #4
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Marco, these are not the best images to make any assessments by so i've tried to make this image more visible. I am wondering why you think the gonjo might have originated from a different blade. Is it that it appears to have a slightly darker in color?
No David, first of all I suppose the gonjo is ganjawulung but not shure (maybe with cleaning and warangan process the pamor rises up). I suppose that gonjo comes from another blade because near greneng there is (IMO) a little not harmonious piece with the beginning of the right part of the blade
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 10:08 PM   #5
Treeslicer

I'm working on cleaning, etc., and getting some macros snapped. The ganja appears to me to be wulung, but I'm not sure if the gap is due to a mismatched replacement ganja or to the blade shrinking more with repeated treatments. Note the two combongs.

I've been trying to find a literature citation for the supposed edict of Sultan Agung calling for replacement of pamor ganja with wulung, that I remember being told about once. Anyone have a reference one way or the other for that?

I'm fairly satisfied that the dapur is Sengkelat. Any disagreements with that?

Anyone have an opinion on the pamor?
Treeslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 01:00 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

That's a nice old soldier for sure Treeslicer that has seen a lot of years and a lot of washings. As you point out, the combong attest to this age and wear, but it still shows itself as a well formed blade despite this erosion. I don't think anyone will argue about dhapur sengkalet at this point unless better photos reveal something we are not seeing. I wouldn't even begin to assess pamor until this keris receives a good washing and hopefully warangan. Hard to tell much otherwise.

Last edited by David; 2nd March 2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:47 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeslicer
I've been trying to find a literature citation for the supposed edict of Sultan Agung calling for replacement of pamor ganja with wulung, that I remember being told about once. Anyone have a reference one way or the other for that?
Yes, i have heard that some believe that during the Mataram period Sultan Agung decreed that only he could own a keris with a pamor gonjo. I cannot suggest any specific literature to back this up, but it is a story that has been mentioned on this forum before, including in this thread which you may find interesting.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6105
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:44 PM   #8
Treeslicer

Thanks very much for the link, David. Great thread.

What I find odd about the Sultan Agung gonjo story is that I have read (on Indonesian keris websites) that Sultan Agung issued a proclamation allowing the common people to own pusaka wesi aji in general for the first time, making the gonjo story inconsistent by comparison. I feel that Alan's attribution of pamor-free gonjos to style and economics seems much more likely.
Treeslicer is offline   Reply With Quote