Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th March 2017, 08:17 PM   #1
grendolino

Default Arab Enfield

I proudly present Arab ex-Enfield percussion gun, twin to those discussed in previous post:
http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread...hlight=enfield

The overall gun is consistent with the thesis included in the references which we owe to Ibrahim:
http://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/c...pen_access_etds
i.e.: much of wood from stock is removed, the rear sight is replaced with simpler one, capucines are suited to the taste.
The back of the stock is from separate part of wood reinforced with alu.
The ramrod is original.

Take a special note on the KSA coat of arms (which is visible though not so clearly also on the picture in #10 post of previously mentioned thread) and what seems to be a caliber mark on one of the capucines probably made with the European stamp with to more marks which are mystery for me.

Going back to the previous post - could you guys close it with the remarks how ended the troubles with the shipping?
Attached Images

grendolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I note the reference I gave is now a dead link but I am sure I can drum up another... This is a famous weapon not least since the 1857 version was responsible for the Indian Mutiny...or the ammo was. I believe a lot of these weapons were traded around the time guns were finding their way with smugglers to Afghanistan and that the smoke screen produced by slavery in the Indian Ocean obscured what was really happening. Sketch of Arms Dealers at Muscat and 1857 Enfield picture for interest below.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 18th March 2017 at 09:38 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 08:22 PM   #3
rickystl

Hi Chris.

Well, it seems you now have a third rifle. I can't believe it's been near five years since your original post. I remember this Thread. I sure do remember how impossible it was to send me the less decorated one. Congrats finding a third one. Lol
I've often wondered why the rounded butt stock treatment other than tradition like their matchlocks? I don't see the advantage from a shooting perspective ?

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote