Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd July 2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Thumbs up 16th century Ottoman Krug Turkish armour armor

Sold Item Moved from Swap Forum for continuing discussion

For consideration;

16th century Turkish, Ottoman Krug, front and rear breat plates and attachments.
An exceptionally rare find.
Armourers mark from the armoury of St. Irene in Constantinople.
Genuine enquiries only.
Further images available.
Cleaning/rejuvination available on request for free.
For sale by POA and offers

I have been asked to publish these in a forum discussion but I have refrained as they are for sale.
I will be more than happy to participate in a discussion upon their sale and if the new onwer approves use these images and that of others for a discussion topic.
Thanks to all for your continued interest, still many things to list and many more enroute.
PM or email through here or my site.

Regards

Gavin

www.swordsantiqueweapons.com
Attached Images

Last edited by Lee; 9th July 2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Add moved thread notice at the top
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default Further details

Ottoman armour is now published & priced with further images.

http://www.swordsantiqueweapons.com/forsale.html

If I can help in anyway please ask.

Regards

Gav

Old 6th July 2009, 06:42 PM   #3
ward

It would be pretty rare if they were a set but these are both breastplates. Ottoman backplates are a little different form
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Default do please show some

Do be a gentleman and please show some some examples Ward or offer an explanation.

I do beleive you are right though, I did however think the rusted top panel attached to large centre circle plate typical of rear Krug plates was once straight and the smaller circle breat plate was the front piece consistant with front plates having smaller circles???
Stone's glossary show on page 39 that they are almost identical as per the image from the presentation in the Reale Armeria di Torino.
The only exception between front and rear is the rear has a straight cut top plate attached that the gorget/shoulder plates join to. I will gather some more images of this armour in due course and publish them on the site.

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 7th July 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 7th July 2009, 05:16 PM   #5
ward

Well, I can show you examples and still not be a glentleman ;0)
H. Russell Robinson shows it or mentions it in Oriental Armour.
The catalog of the Stibbert Collection inFlorence has a pic. Any museum
that has a complete Ottoman armor like this on display will show it. But mostly its common sense-- the back of the neck wouldn't need that cutout
in fact it would be a negative. Unless you have a chin at the back of your head or a double-jointed neck, I guess.

Last edited by ward; 8th July 2009 at 08:27 AM.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default SOLD

SOLD with thanks.

Both gorgeous Seville Navaja are now also sold, I will remove the ebay listing shortly.

Regards

Gav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
Well, I can show you examples and still not be a glentleman ;0)
H. Russell Robinson shows it or mentions it in Oriental Armour.
The catalog of the Stibbert Collection inFlorence has a pic. Any museum
that has a complete Ottoman armor like this on display will show it. But mostly its common sense-- the back of the neck wouldn't need that cutout
in fact it would be a negative. Unless you have a chin at the back of your head or a couble-jointed neck, I guess.
Too true Ward. As for the further reference, other than noting Robinson, can you offer readers anything further on Krug armour plates by adding any thing of specifics of styles. I might add too, Robinson does not in fact show a rear plate, but chapter 3 is very comprehensive on the subject of Turkish armour.

Thanks too for the other museum reference to add to those I have mentioned above, are you able to show an image from it for those who do not have the catalogue as I know it is not as readily available as Stone or Robinson, these type of displays and catalogues are most important in the context of arms and armour.

I am interested to hear further about the cut out in the Krugs top plate and it's use as a cut out for a chin or double jointed neck though?
If you refer to plate VIII on Robinson's Oriental Armour, figure A, the position of this cut out in relation to the chest has no relevence to then chin or a double jointed neck. Even with the head at full tilt forward it would not touch the armour.
What I would suggest, for it's reason of being, would be if the armour was grabbed from the rear and pulled back it would offer some tolerence and confort for the individual wearing it rather than cutting into the throat with a straight cut piece of steel.

I would be very interested to hear more of your reasoning behind the opinions you sited.

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 7th July 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 9th July 2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Lee
EAAF Staff

Arrow

I have moved this thread over to the discussion forums as the item has been sold and we really are not supposed to be carrying on discussions in the swap forum. As a general rule of thumb, there should be no commerce in the discussion forums and no discussion in the swap forums.

For another example please refer to the images Emanuel posted from the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, but do notice also that the chest and back defenses on the figure were acquired by the museum at different times.

Last edited by Lee; 9th July 2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Notation of differing accession episodes
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 01:24 PM   #8
estcrh

A couple of full krug images laid out so that the individual parts can be seen, these images were not available when this thread was started. The breast plate would have a curved area for the neck, the back plate would be straight as the shoulder plate that the back plate attaches to has a curve for the back of the neck.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote