Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th February 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Gustav

Default Pandai Saras Luk 9

Dear All,

a week ago I succeeded in obtaining this blade. Alas, it isn't a work of art like some Keris Pandai Saras from forum archives, also material is (most possibly) average and so the state of preservation, with some deeper pitting. There are also welding faults.

Yet I am very fond of this blade, and that's why you see so many bad (I'm sorry) pictures here

Some questions: is this a blade from Patani (which I suppose) or Kelantan? Why, what are the differences? Is it possible to draw a general schema of development (in words of course), how features of ricikan have changed over the time?

Thank you very much.
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Gustav

More details:
Attached Images

Old 9th February 2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Gustav

Sampir is made from wood, which resembles Trembalo to me, there isn't the structural "hardness" of Kemuning. Chatoyance is nice, yet the balance of forms is a little bit awkward? It lasted some time, till I understud the importance of parallel lines of the back of gonjo and bottom of sampir, like a frame.

Buntut is unfortunately missing.

Hilt is actually a very nice one, Kemuning.
Attached Images

Old 10th February 2011, 01:35 AM   #4
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Gustav,

Quote:
it isn't a work of art like some Keris Pandai Saras from forum archives, also material is (most possibly) average and so the state of preservation, with some deeper pitting. There are also welding faults.
I beg to differ: Looks like a genuine antique Pattani blade of good quality to me!

State of preservation may leave a bit to be desired; have seen more heavily corroded pandai Saras blades though. I think this will polish up nicely - have you tried to stain it?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 02:30 AM   #5
Alam Shah

What you have there is a good Pattani Pandai Saras with a chevron quenched technique blade. The crosspiece looks kemuning to me. The sheath's shaft, of sena (angsana).
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 04:09 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

What kind of buntut should this have? Wood or what?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Gustav

Thank you very much for comments.

Kai, his is how it looks after some days (careful) sanding, and two days in pineaple juice. I am to timid to do more polishing now (may be, when I will grow older ), the point where I stopped, is when the blackened, rough surface is being almost removed. When I would go further, I would end with a little bit smaller, smooth and shiny blade with some black welding fault lines and pitting (I felt). I simply don't have much experience, and now with this condition I am satisfied for a while.

Unfortunately I don't made pictures of the original condition, yet it was not a nice view.

Alam Shah, I think, I understand what you mean by chevron quenched, I wondered about these lines. Could you please tell more about it? I have never seen such before. I will try to make better pictures of sampir.

Battara, I think so. Bone or ivory one would be very slim, just a line. Will make a picture of a similar (yet existing) wooden buntut.
Old 10th February 2011, 03:05 PM   #8
BluErf

Hi Gustav,

You are going to hate me for this, but without being able to clearly articulate the defining factors, I'm going to say that the keris is most likely Pattani in origin. The hilt form is what strikes me as being very clearly Pattani. The blade too, though for a while, I was struggling to say that it is Kelantanese because of the thicker ganja. However, in the end, I think the Pattani features win out a bit more, particularly the "recessed" gandik style. The sheath is an interesting one. Some people tell me that it is the Pattani interpretation of the Riau sheath form. I don't know. This keris does have a similar look and feel to one I posted earlier - see the 2nd keris in this thread:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12828
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Gustav

Hi Blu Erf,

thank you I also thought about the thicker gonjo, and belalai gajah is probably not so delicat as the most from Pattani, as I understand. Could this be a hint to a later age dating?

The luk style is what seems to be more Pattani to me.

Is hilt assignation as from Pattani becouse of the elongated body?
Old 10th February 2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Gustav

Your sampir is similar indeed, yet more classical, better shape. Mine seems to be "compressed" vertically, looks, like there was some lack of material at the bottom on right side. However the protruding back of gonjo balances it out, it looks after a while like intention.

What I like on mine are the two tips of sampir, really like "daun", turned a little bit more inwards.

Last edited by Gustav; 11th February 2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:48 PM   #11
Gustav

The wood of sampir looks softer, more large-pored then Kemuning. Yet of course I could be wrong. I wish, it would be Kemuning.

Also a picture of (desired) buntut.
Attached Images

Old 12th February 2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Jean

Gustav,
The "Bugis cup" looks too wide for the hilt base, is it original and what should be the correct type of pendokok for this hilt?
Best regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 11:01 AM   #13
Gustav

Jean, it's fewer then 1 and half mm to wide. It came with this pendokok, I suppose it would be possible to regard this form as one of correct possible pendokok forms for such keris.

On hilt there are no visible traces from another pendokok.

Best regards
Old 12th February 2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
The wood of sampir looks softer, more large-pored then Kemuning. Yet of course I could be wrong. I wish, it would be Kemuning.

Also a picture of (desired) buntut.
Hello Gustav,

congrats to this nice find. The sampir look to my eyes as beeing from kemuning. (So far I am able to see it by pictures. I have tried to learn the differences between kemuning and trembalo.)
The buntut you show in your picture look more buginese, I think a buntut like one from the both keris sheaths Kai Wee show in his link would look better for your keris.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 09:25 PM   #15
Gustav

Hello Detlef,

thank you. About buntut you are wright.

Regards
Old 12th February 2011, 11:53 PM   #16
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Jean, it's fewer then 1 and half mm to wide. It came with this pendokok, I suppose it would be possible to regard this form as one of correct possible pendokok forms for such keris.

On hilt there are no visible traces from another pendokok.

Best regards
Gustav, i do not believe that this is the appropriate pendokok form for a Pattani keris. I am sure that Shahrial or Kai Wee would have some good examples to show you.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 12:05 AM   #17
Gustav

David, please take a look at this website, its Dave Henkel's:

http://kerisarchipelago.150m.com/pattani&singora.htm

You will found some keris with similar bugis style pendokok.

Also this one: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=keris+pattani

And this: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=pattani

Last edited by Gustav; 13th February 2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 13th February 2011, 02:46 AM   #18
David
Keris forum moderator

Perhaps it's acceptable then Gustav. I'm certainly no expert on Pattani keris. Still a bit too large though...
Old 13th February 2011, 04:44 AM   #19
BluErf

The pendoko style can be found in N Peninsula kerises, but this particular specimen is too big for the hilt. There shd be minimal gap between the rim of the pendoko and the round base of the hilt.
Old 13th February 2011, 09:48 AM   #20
Gustav

Kai Wee, I know, this is not an ideal fit, yet when I do rectify the position of hilt and pendokok to get the gap equal on all sides, the gap staying is about 1 mm, not more.
Old 22nd February 2011, 03:43 AM   #21
BluErf

Quote:
Hi Blu Erf,

thank you I also thought about the thicker gonjo, and belalai gajah is probably not so delicat as the most from Pattani, as I understand. Could this be a hint to a later age dating?

The luk style is what seems to be more Pattani to me.

Is hilt assignation as from Pattani becouse of the elongated body?
Hi Gustav,

I don't know why I didn't see this post of yours. As to the use of the features to give an estimate of age, I must admit that I can't do it. Very often, I do it based on look and feel, and I know it is highly inaccurate given that a well-cared old blade can look 'newer' than a poorly-maintained new blade.

Pattani luks are 'awkward', not sweet and sensuous like Terengganu kerises with luks.

The hilt's longer head, angle of the head, and the relatively larger buah pinang base suggests Pattani origin.
Old 8th May 2015, 09:28 PM   #22
Gustav

Afters years of owning this keris I suppose now, the blade and at least the sheath are coming from Kedah. The indicators are blade style, especially Gandhik/Belalai Gajah, and the missing, yet clearly elongated Buntut.
Old 9th May 2015, 12:32 PM   #23
rasdan

Hi Gustav, congratulations on the new keris. Unfortunately I know nothing about this type of keris apart that is frequently reffered to as Pandai Saras. Perhaps it is part of sinengker knowledge in the Malay keris world.

Can somebody enlighten us here on (1) the difference between a Pattani, Kelantan and Kedah (or from any other place) and (2) how the difference/characteristics are attributed to the places? Features or combination of features that when present, we say this definitely from say, Kedah - because 90% of keris from kedah have this characteristics - for example.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 01:16 PM   #24
Gustav

Rasdan, I am sure you have much more clues (and better reasoned) regarding styles from different Northern Malay Peninsula states then I. I like Malay Keris very much, yet I am very far from this part of world and have almost no exchange of information about these.

As I understand it at this moment, blades from Kelantan and Kedah are very similar, there are no big distinctions. I have a blade, which is surely provenanced from Kedah, and the powerful Belalai Gajah (compared to slim and gracious BG from Patani) and thicker Gonjo is very similar on my Pandai Saras.

More distincted is the sheath style from Kedah, yet I think, these variations are coming also from Perlis and Perak. Maybe one could speak of a Northern West coast style.

The quite long "foot" of the Batang of my Pandai Saras requires an elongated Buntut, and such possibility is the Buntut form from Kedah. Also there are some features in Sampir which let me think of Kedah.
Old 10th May 2015, 03:26 PM   #25
rasdan

Thanks Gustav, but really I am almost clueless on this.

If we stick on the name Pandai Saras, then we probably have a smaller problem. But once we have Pandai Mamat etc and we have to differentiate between Pattani, Kelantan and Kedah I think it gets a bit more problematic.

I agree, we can say that Kedah pieces are more rough and rugged compared to Pattani and Kelantan, but in some cases, I see these rugged keris are also being attributed to Pandai Mamat which is either from Kelantan or Pattani . Then we have other Pandai too..

As for the dress, I think we can safely guess that yours are from Kedah. The buntut that you have on your keris is very interesting.

Below is a picture of a keris Pattani sorsoran from the "Senjata Pattani" facebook page which is strikingly similar to your keris.
Attached Images

Old 10th May 2015, 04:23 PM   #26
Gustav

Rasdan, thank you very much for the picture. There are similarities indeed, yet becouse of the deep Jenggot it looks like a blade from Narathiwat.

Attached the Sorsoran of a Keris, which is provenanced from Kedah. It isn't, of course, a Pandai Saras (there is no Ada-Ada, the cross section is hexagonal).

The Buntut of The PS Luk 9 is actually missing, the other picture is showing a Sulawesi sheath. 2011 I didn't know nothing about Buntut forms from Kedah, so this elongated Buntut was my only possibility to guess.

Like you, I also think, there are so much different features, which originaly could be distinctive for some talented smiths. There surely was an immense intermingling of influences, somewhere is a good post of DAHenkel about that. Clear archetypical forms are rare, perhaps almost impossible, and I feel at the moment, Kedah is bladewise especially "eclectical" - a lot of blade styles and mixing of elements from different locations.
Attached Images

Old 10th May 2015, 09:34 PM   #27
A. G. Maisey

Peninsula keris are not really my thing, but some of the content in this thread does interest me sufficiently for me to raise some questions.

When the term Pandai Saras , or Pandai Mamat, or Pandai Somebodyelse is used, does that mean that for an authority on Peninsula keris, that the name given to the keris identifies the maker, or is it the name of a style?

If it is the name of a style, can that style be attributed to a particular span of time?

When making the decision to name a keris as Pandai Somethingorother, what indicators are taken into consideration?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 05:03 AM   #28
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
When the term Pandai Saras , or Pandai Mamat, or Pandai Somebodyelse is used, does that mean that for an authority on Peninsula keris, that the name given to the keris identifies the maker, or is it the name of a style?

If it is the name of a style, can that style be attributed to a particular span of time?

When making the decision to name a keris as Pandai Somethingorother, what indicators are taken into consideration?
Hey Alan, as you know this isn't really my area of concentration either, but from what i do understand there is no expectation that a keris that follows the form of a Keris Pandai Saras be actually made by the famed pandai himself. It is simply a style and dhapur of blade that was either originated by or made popular by that smith. The same can be said of Keris Tok Chu i believe. Hopefully if i am misled on this someone with more knowledge on the area will correct me.
Old 11th May 2015, 07:20 AM   #29
A. G. Maisey

Thanks David.

Since execution detail seems to vary pretty widely, as does material and dhapur, would it be reasonable to say that when the description "Pandai Saras" is used, what we are to understand is the style of workmanship?

Maybe a bit similar to tangguh in Javanese keris, except that with tangguh, material is one of the indicators.

Actually, when I look at a "Pandai Saras", and some other blades from outside Jawa, what I see is Madura Sepuh --- yeah, there are very slight differences, but overall:- Madura Sepuh.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 12:08 PM   #30
rasdan

Yes Gustav, the nearer a keris to our present time, the more intermingling features can be seen. I sometime feel that this type of keris are almost impossible to classify with some acceptable accuracy.

G'day Alan.

Pandai Saras, Pandai Mamat, Tok Chu etc are supposedly pandai keris that makes keris to a certain style. It is said that Pandai Saras came from Majapahit. The closest name of a Majapahit Empu to Pandai Saras that I had heard is Empu Ki Sarap. Some say we can attribute these names to certain time period, but I doubt it.

On a different note, I am most interested to a ricikan on the ganja of many pandai saras keris which we can also see on some later Balinese keris - some Bugis and Palembang keris also have this ricikan. I am not sure the name of the ricikan which I mark in the picture below (the Balinese keris is from your website).

Do you know the name of this ricikan and does this ricikan present in older tangguh say, prior to the 1800's? - if we associate tangguh with time.

Also, what are the characteristics of a Madura Sepuh keris present on the above keris?
Attached Images