Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Kmaddock

Default Blunderbuss with Cork Mail markings

Hi all
Thanks to a pervious post on A York Mail blunderbuss I have saved a good bit of money

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=blunderbuss

The attached blunderbuss has just sold at an auction in Ireland
I went to view over the weekend and on comparing the two I was confident this is a recent reproduction as per post above
Things to look out for

Not one screw was rounded anywhere
Font on Cork Mail not square
No wear on the stock chequering
No makers mark on the lock
proof marks did not make sence
and a few other small things

Incidentally the safety did not work and the sear was not engaging with the nice click noise

With a bit of improving on the workmanship it would be hard to distinguish

Note also the Fly or Die on the end of the barrel, which shows recent tooling marks on the inside

I hope this thread is appropriate as I just want to alert others to these items

Best regards

Ken
Attached Images

Last edited by Kmaddock; 5th September 2016 at 07:41 PM.
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 07:18 PM   #2
rickystl

Hi Ken.

I happened on your Thread here and was reading same. And I clicked on the Link you provided to read the previous Thread on this blunderbuss. While scolling down reading, I noticed fellow Forum member Chris posted photos of a Spanish miquelet pistol for comment. As soon as I saw the photos of that pistol it immediatly occured to me that I have the SAME pistol, with a darker stock stain. While it generally looks good in the first photos, I'm so glad he decided not to purchase it. It's not even a real gun. The iron parts including the lock, belt clip, and even the barrel are castings (not forgings). The metal butt cap and backstrap are made of thin sheet metal, loosely fitted. This is a Tourist gun. Although the best looking one I've ever seen.
I know my comments here are not on the blunderbuss. But I thought it important that I post here in view of the connection to the previous Link.

Also, I'm glad you were "saved" from a potentially regretable purchase.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 06:59 AM   #3
ChrisPer

That blunderbuss is well synthesised, unlike the ugly tourist gun. One further weakness is the inletting at lock and tang, which look somewhat worse than any original I have looked at (I am not an expert though). It makes me want to understand who made it and from what. The creation of charming copies for Victorian decorators is well known, and there are known past collectors who have had top-quality copies of rare guns built, ofttimes with no intent to deceive.

This one has to me the feel of a 1950s-60s faker, when top quality craftsmen were less likely to do this stuff and the 'distressed' look was a big part of making new craft furniture 'antique'.

The 'no makers mark on lock' and 'barrel stamp not square' is not at all definitive. We tend to see better-quality retailed pieces or known-quality military standards, but a body like the Cork Mail probably armed their guards from lower-quality trade suppliers, perhaps by tender. The makers would not necessarily pay a quality engraver to mark trade-sourced second tier locks. The Cork Mail stamp is done with old-looking individual letter stamps and reasonably well aligned though not perfect. Letter stamps are more what you would expect in smaller more remote or colonial organisations and consistent with the lower trade quality of the components.

The fly or die is also letter stamps but perhaps newer font, and is the worst feature on this gun I think. The inletting feels like the gun has been made up from two genuinely old but partial guns, and the cock clamp screw and other un-butchered screws are probably new-made.

Overall, I would give it house room if it were not priced too high or for a Cork historic exhibit. Its almost OK, but a fastidious collector or museum might decline to lower the tone of the collection with it.

Just my less-experienced opinion.
ChrisPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 11:31 AM   #4
corrado26

This pistol is a typical Indian made replika of the 1980s. I've added fotos of the same pistol and a foto of another type. Both pistols have exactly the same lock, a fact that is rarely found at original items.
corrado26
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 05:05 AM   #5
ChrisPer

Can I suggest that obvious decorator or tourist guns do not enhance this excellent forum? Perhaps a thread to help newcomers understand and distinguish decorators, or comparing real antecedents to decorator designs would be worthwhile.
ChrisPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 08:19 AM   #6
Kmaddock

I agree in principle
I do think though the blunderbuss is not a tourist item and discussing does enhance the forum by showing what good copies are being made
Without this forum I would have bid north of 700 euro for this gun
A rogues gallery of fakes is a good idea
Regards
Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote