Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th July 2023, 03:13 PM   #1
Paul de Souza

My keris was acquired in the late 90s or early 2000s before 2004. So it will be 20 years old but within the timeline Alan mentioned. I always assumed it part of and expession Buddhist-Hindu beliefs. Here in Singapore, we have lots of Thai phallus amulets. Perhaps I made a mistaken association. Come to think of it, you don't see it in local Tamil Hindu iconology, except for the Lingam. Thanks for the info.

But out of curiousity, Alan, were art collectors items old or "new" made? Items from the 70s are now past half century.
Paul de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2023, 04:49 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Paul, i believe that while expressions of the yoni and lingam have always been present in Hindu, and to a lesser extent, even in Islamic Indonesian keris forms, they have always been more subtle than this.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2023, 09:39 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Nothing subtle about Candi Sukuh David, but the thing that is different is the understanding.

In Hindu belief we have a religious association, in the Abrahamic religious belief systems we have an entirely different understanding.

Devout Muslims in Central Jawa regard Candi Sukuh as something disgraceful, they call it the "dirty" candi, I have heard friends of mine express the idea that the government should put bulldozers through it.

I had intended to place a link to images of Candi Sukuh, but it was far too long, so I suggest that a google search for "Candi Sukuh Images" might be educational.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2023, 08:32 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
Nothing subtle about Candi Sukuh David, but the thing that is different is the understanding.

In Hindu belief we have a religious association, in the Abrahamic religious belief systems we have an entirely different understanding.

Devout Muslims in Central Jawa regard Candi Sukuh as something disgraceful, they call it the "dirty" candi, I have heard friends of mine express the idea that the government should put bulldozers through it.

I had intended to place a link to images of Candi Sukuh, but it was far too long, so I suggest that a google search for "Candi Sukuh Images" might be educational.
Absolutely Alan, but please note that i was talking about how these concepts are displayed in KERIS symbolism specifically, not in the art presented at Candi Sukuh.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2023, 08:53 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Understood.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote