Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th June 2015, 09:30 AM   #1
KraVseR

Default William Walker's weapons

Hello! I have a question: what weapons was used by William Walker and his troop? What muskets, pistols, grenades (maybe), cold weapons?
Attached Images

KraVseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 03:28 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a most esoteric topic, and of a figure not necessarily well known in U.S. history, and I must admit I am most curious about your interest. Is this for a scholarly project or perhaps paper for a class? It might be easier to respond if we could know the context for which you are seeking information on the weaponry used by Walker and his forces.

He was known as a 'filibusterer' and essentially tried to establish colonies in Mexico and Central America, most notably in campaigns 1856-57. He was executed in Honduras in 1860 after his unfortunate events in Nicaragua.

He established units of troops from Germany, France and the U.S. so obviously the military patterns of arms in use in these countries were likely at hand. He probably had a number of American arms naturally including the M1851 Colt revolvers; Springfield muskets and M1840 dragoon sabres in use by the American contingents, however since his 'army' was essentially 'private', any number of incongruent patterns or surplus arms might have been used.

Online there are a good number of references which might include some degree of detail on the nature of weaponry used as far as artillery or other ordnance.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 08:11 PM   #3
KraVseR

Yes, it's for the scholarly project. Thanks for you answer!
Old 18th June 2015, 03:58 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

No problem! I wanted to mention that often the magazine "Strategy & Tactics" might be a good source for these kinds of unusual topics, and while often keyed to military historians......a keen source for the war gaming enthusiasts.
The material often in these articles (back issues) might provide the kind of data required for scholarly projects
Old 18th June 2015, 02:32 PM   #5
KraVseR

I understand that this is not a forum about uniforms, but I don't know any else forums, where me can help.
I have a question about the uniforms of soldiers Walker. William himself was wearing the uniform of a black or dark blue. In this uniform were dressed and others filibusters in various scenes. Perhaps this form has some name? And how you think this form was worn by all filibusters or only the higher ranks of the army of Walker? And this soldiers in white dress - its Costa Rican army or filibusters?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...res_Castro.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by KraVseR; 18th June 2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 18th June 2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a most interesting topic, and as I note, most esoteric. With this being the case, your knowledge of William Walker and events pertaining to him suggests you have already accomplished research on the subject. Even the photos you show here are not readily found in most historical material.

It seems to me that the publication I mentioned would have this material in their back issues, and again, they are keyed toward war game enthusiasts, as you may already know. Another source which provides such information pertaining to uniforms and weaponry would be the well known Osprey publications which I am sure you are familiar with.

Despite the fact that we sometimes cover Spanish colonial and Central American weaponry, the subject matter here and as you note the uniforms etc. is indeed outside the scope of our forums. Also, the war game enterprise is not something we are involved in here.

It does seem that as I research weaponry on line, it is virtually impossible to search without many responses listing re enactment groups; reproduction weapons and on line forums in accord with associated subject matter.
I regret not being of more assistance, but I would defer to continuing your online search using the William Walker name and events listed in the Wikipedia entries.

Best of luck,
Jim