Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th December 2011, 07:26 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Default Some Sahel weapons

Hi

There is a fair bit of interest in the forum on items from the Sahel area - so I thought I would post these three recent acquisitions for I.D.

A point to note is the similar plaited leatherwork on each weapon. Not sure if the sheath was originally made for the sword - but the lizard decorative feature is fun.

As usual, comments are welcome.
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Iain

Hi Colin,

Very nice find! All from Mandara area in my opinion, judging particularly by the leatherwork.

Takouba is a neat example and I think reasonably old judging by the pommel (close up of that when you can would be great).

Blade is a very odd profile for this region, usually rounded tips, nothing this pointy. I like it and I think it has some good age. The lizard is also very neat. Perhaps someone will recognize the style and be able to pinpoint an ethnic group?

If you ever get sick of the sword put me at the front of the line

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 07:00 AM   #3
Mefidk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Hi Colin,

Takouba is a neat example and I think reasonably old judging by the pommel (close up of that when you can would be great).

Blade is a very odd profile for this region, usually rounded tips, nothing this pointy. I like it and I think it has some good age. The lizard is also very neat. Perhaps someone will recognize the style and be able to pinpoint an ethnic group?
Takouba looks old to me too. The narrow guard profile seems and pommel consistent with some of the older hilts. To me the angle of the guard also suggests long usage. I guess they start out perpendicular to the grip and get pulled by fingers gripping on top of the guard (that is I believe that is the way that they are normally used).
The point does seem odd though. Do we have any other examples of pointy takoubas with age, or does it look like this was a more recent alternation?
Mefidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Iain

The pommel does seem old, the leather of course less so on the hilt, but that is normal. I have seen grips where one finger does grab onto the top of the guard yes, would give good tip control.

Personally I am inclined from the photos available to believe the blade has not been reshaped. I have seen a few pointy takouba and there are also plenty of pointy forms in the region which this hilt could overlap with. For example:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14500

Hopefully Colin can chime in here as it is a bit hard to tell from the photos?

The style of this doesn't really surprise me, so many odd short swords with cultural crossovers occur in this region, I am most interested in the lizard as it seems like a strong visual motif that could possibly be solidly tied to a particular ethnic group.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:31 AM   #5
colin henshaw

Here are some more images of the takouba. I usually think of these swords with the "walnut" one-piece pommels as being older than the layered types of pommel ??

The tip of the blade may have been reshaped - but if so, probably some time ago. The sheath has a slight curved profile, so perhaps not originally made for this sword ? Most likely a native-made blade.

Anyway, hopefully the images will explain more...
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Iain

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the extra images. Yes, in general I believe these pommels are much older, or at least reflect and earlier style. The other point of age on your piece is that the leather is stitched, newer hilts tend to have glued leather.

Agreed that this is 100% a native blade. Looking at the point, it does look reshaped to me now. Seems to be a pretty aggressive edge on the tip which doesn't match the rest of the blade? Or maybe the angle is confusing me. Perhaps done to fit the scabbard? But as you say, looks like it was done a while ago.

The curve on the scabbard is perhaps due to shrinkage? I don't recall seeing anything similar, although the style of the leather work is consistent with a lot of ethnic groups in the Sahel.

The pommel I think is the standout feature of this sword, much harder to find swords like this than the flat or stacked pommels.
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Hello,
Based on the leatherwork I feel more influence of Mandingo than Mandara people
Regards,

Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Iain

This was the page that had me thinking Cameroon based on the leatherwork...
Attached Images

Old 3rd January 2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Martin Lubojacky

Hello Iain,

I do not have this book - I presuppose it is also by Manfred Zirngibl. What to object to such aithority. I was only thinking about the style of leatherwork on upper part of scabbard - on its end, I mean those dyke-like trimmings...
Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Iain

Hi Martin,

I think it is from "Afrikanische Waffen" I do not have the whole book only some scans. But when I saw this sword I was reminded of this page.

Because of the curve in the scabbard it may be possible like Colin said, that scabbard is not original to the sword. I completely agree with you those "bands" on the top of the scabbard feel very Mandingo.

All the best,

Iain
Old 9th February 2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Iain

As Colin was kind enough to allow this to pass into my collection, I wanted to share a couple of new photos.

To sum up the info already in this thread, native blade, original tip I believe after close examination. The pommel is of a form I have also on a sword I believe to be from the Bornu region, so this shape may be characteristic of the region.

The scabbard fits reasonably well on the sword, may well also be original. The scabbard originally had a line of tassels, only one remains.

Nicely balanced weapon overall.
Attached Images

Last edited by Iain; 9th February 2012 at 02:28 PM.