Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th August 2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Dmitry, thats a pretty good start. It seems I'd heard the scarf term too, another weird one! Norman would have been my first guess at first sources, but the Dean book is excellent (hard to find).
Need to find some examples.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 04:24 AM   #2
M ELEY

Excellent post, gents. One I am definately interested in hearing about, although not very knowledgible in. A question that I have always had concerning mourning swords is whether they were originally carried as side pieces and then later blackened for the occasion. I presently have a blackened smallsword in my collection and it seems quite functional as a true working piece vs just an adornment for funerary occasions. As smallswords were known to be carried by some naval officers, I kept it as a representation piece.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 04:32 AM   #3
Dmitry

Blackened hilt does not mean a mourning sword.Specifically, small-swords [or hangers, as they were called then] with simple, bilobate shell guards, mostly unadorned [save for scalloped borders], were, IMHO, sergeant's swords from the early to mid-1700s.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Dmitry

Here's a sword from my collection, ca.1660, that would be called a pillow sword by some, or a town sword my yours truly.
Sword is feather-weight. Even in this condition one can see that the quality of the cast and hand-chased steel hilt is quite good. Blade is inscribed on both sides, one side worn more than the other. It reads something like NULLA LA ...BELLO. Blade is 69.5 cm.
Any help with reading the inscription would be greatly appreciated, of course.
Attached Images

Old 7th August 2010, 04:29 AM   #5
M ELEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry
Blackened hilt does not mean a mourning sword.Specifically, small-swords [or hangers, as they were called then] with simple, bilobate shell guards, mostly unadorned [save for scalloped borders], were, IMHO, sergeant's swords from the early to mid-1700s.
Thanks for that valuable information, Dmitry. I assumed the blackened forms represented the death of the one whose funeral it was. Does anyone have a picture of a so-called mourning sword, or is this title just a misnomer?

BTW, very nice town sword! I especially love the crossguard, with its Dutch designs...
Old 7th August 2010, 05:01 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks guys, this is pretty interesting and Ive been doing some checking. Great example Dmitry, these seem to be kind of an untapped sector of collecting, at least to me....pretty esoteric.

Apparantly these are lighter, simple hilt swords that developed around the opening years of the 17th century that were in favor of the developing French school of fencing. The Italian and Spanish schools were much more conservative, and these were lighter, faster swords.
Because they were intended to be worn about town (as noted by Dmitry) they were essentially considered in a self defense type view, with the idea that as such they could easily be grasped from the bedside. There was apparantly a reference c.1655 to these type swords called 'walking swords', but the pillow thing seems to be an expression from about mid 18th century (Aylward, p.13).

Aylward also mentions on p.54 there was a strict convention for wearing of black in mid 18th century, with some cheaper blades and blackened steel hilts for expressing grief....it is noted that these were not necessarily just for mourning. It makes sense that a sword just for mourning would be a bit extravagant, unless there were really a lot of funerals!!

This is what I could find so far, and I really appreciate you guys input, and hope we can discover more. Excellent example there Dmitry!!!

All best regards,
Jim
Old 7th August 2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Aylward also mentions on p.54 there was a strict convention for wearing of black in mid 18th century, with some cheaper blades and blackened steel hilts for expressing grief....it is noted that these were not necessarily just for mourning. It makes sense that a sword just for mourning would be a bit extravagant, unless there were really a lot of funerals!!
As I see it, an 18th century gentleman of means[or debts] had several small-swords for different occasions, which, in today's parlance, might be equated to a closet rack of ties. Some of us have only one or two, some have 20+.

I, too, would be interested in seeing a 'bonified' mourning sword. Again, let's not forget that japanning was a preferred method of protecting steel from rusting, often applied to military swords and long-arms.

This, according to the Mount Vernon Museum, was George Washington's mourning sword. It does have a black grip [very uncommon to see a bone or ebony grips on small-swords, aside from some French martial examples], but the rest of the hilt is actually pretty festive, and reminiscent of the French model 1767 officer's swords.
http://emuseum.mountvernon.org/code/...rrentrecord=86
Old 7th August 2010, 09:02 AM   #8
M ELEY

I've noticed in some of the old artworks of sea captains that blackened steel 'japanned' smallswords were popular. At first, I wrote this off as perhaps nothing more than a "prop" given to the subject being painted for artistic purposes, but Annis comments that smallswords were indeed popular among the maritime folks. I was wondering aloud if the blackened steel was more rust-resistant, as other naval swords that were painted or tarred black. Here's a sea captain (with an interesting history) whose pic is in the National Maritime Museum. Note the blackened hilt. Click on his pic for a bigger view.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/exp...cfm?ID=BHC2928
Old 13th August 2010, 04:15 PM   #9
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Apparantly these are lighter, simple hilt swords that developed around the opening years of the 17th century that were in favor of the developing French school of fencing. The Italian and Spanish schools were much more conservative, and these were lighter, faster swords.
Because they were intended to be worn about town (as noted by Dmitry) they were essentially considered in a self defense type view, with the idea that as such they could easily be grasped from the bedside. There was apparantly a reference c.1655 to these type swords called 'walking swords', but the pillow thing seems to be an expression from about mid 18th century (Aylward, p.13).

Here are some chiseled steel pommels from around the same time< or just a tad earlier, than the one on my town-sword. Some of them are classified as French.

Jut to awaken the "pillow sword" nomenclature, Claude Blaire in his European and American Arms" put the term to rest [no pun intended].
Attached Images

Old 13th August 2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Outstanding Dmitry! and thank you for the great illustrations as well. The information you and Mark have presented on japanning really puts that in perspective, and this on the 'pillow sword' term is great information.

It's amazing how literary notes can become collectors terms, and I found some other material that the the late Mr. Blair likely had at hand also from Aylward (1945). Here Aylward describes a 1748 reference by Smollett, citing an earlier tale of men giving up the habit of putting thier swords by the pillow (headboard) at night.
The late AVB Norman noted similar references but added the note on 'scarf sword' (p.184) which you noted earlier. On the same page Norman cited a 1970 reference from RBF van der Sloot who states that c.1655 these swords were called 'walking swords'....which nicely concurs with the 'town sword' term you have considered for these light self defense swords.