Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 10th June 2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Cerjak

Default Norwegian M1793 musket turn in percussion

Hi everybody
I just bought this percussion gun who was previously a Norwegian model 1793 with 1808 transformation ( 15 cm shorter) I guess that he was turn in percussion by Danish. I found those informations from
.http://norskevaapen.no/?p=553

I have try to find similar model in percussion without success and I would like to know more about this gun.
It will great if somebody could tell me more about this model.
Regards

Cerjak
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Cerjak

Default m1808

information & pics from http://norskevaapen.no/?p=553

The Danes obviously were strange people that did strange things! In 1794 they introduced a new smooth bored flintlock infantry musket with total length of 142 cm. In 1807 they started producing another and less expensive version of the same musket, this time with the Kyhl’s lock (hammer on the inside of the lock plate).

In 1808 they started converting a number of the original M1794 to a 15 cm shorter version for use by short grown soldiers. Why on earth convert the M1794 instead of producing a shorter version of the M1807??? Things like this make collecting being fun!
There was produced a total of some 30 000 of the standard M1794’s. I have no records over how few were converted to M1808, but this musket seems to be fairly scarce, at least here in Norway.
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote