Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th April 2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Stan S.

Default My giant can opener

This "thing" had been in my collection for a while. I know it's Indian because of the Bikaner markings on the spearhead and being that I bought it from an old estate of Indo Persian weapons along with a couple of nice tulwars. Despite my research, I am yet to find anything similar in any literature, online, etc. The only thing that comes remotely close is a spearhead shown on the page 279 of A. Tirri's book (fig. 202B). In Tirri's variant the ends are closed and it is much fancier than mine.

It really looks like a giant version of an old fashioned can opener. I am even ready to accept this being not a weapon but an agricultural implement. The haft may have been cut down but not in recent times. Perhaps it was ment to be short like this? The spearhead is intended for slashing because it is sharp along the long edge and has a false edge at the tip as well. The purpose of the ace-of-clubs like protrusion is a complete mystery. It may be purely ornamental in nature. The only possible use I can think of is to act as a sword catcher of sorts to trap opponent's blade.

I would appreciate any guesses to the origin and age of this item. I thought of cleaning it but decided that I like it better this way. Sorry about the picture quality - I am a terrible photographer. I hope that these will suffice in judging this item.
Attached Images

Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 07:37 PM   #2
David R

It looks more Chinese to me, can you post a shot of the socket, especialy the junction with the blade.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 09:08 PM   #3
ariel

Isn't it a Thai Mak?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Blacksmith

Default indian pole-arm

Hi, saw a couple of these in museum in Rajasthan, India. They had a long (ca.2 meters or a little bit longer) wooden shaft and were labelled as "a pole arm used by foot soldiers" 1800 century.

Regards, Timo
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith
Hi, saw a couple of these in museum in Rajasthan, India. They had a long (ca.2 meters or a little bit longer) wooden shaft and were labelled as "a pole arm used by foot soldiers" 1800 century.

Regards, Timo
Great, we are making some progress! Thank you! This certainly explains the presence of Bikaner markings on the blade. Do you remember which museum in Rajasthan you saw them in? Knowing this may aid me in my research. Thanks again
Old 18th April 2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Blacksmith

Default indian pole-arm

Hello, I think it was in Udaipur, in City Palace but Im not quite shure. It was two years ago and I visited many museums.But Bikaner is not so far away from Udaipur. Unfortunately I didn`t took any pictures of them because they weren`t so atractive, there were lots of "cooler" stuff to take pics.
Regards, Timo
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith
Hello, I think it was in Udaipur, in City Palace but Im not quite shure. It was two years ago and I visited many museums.But Bikaner is not so far away from Udaipur. Unfortunately I didn`t took any pictures of them because they weren`t so atractive, there were lots of "cooler" stuff to take pics.
Regards, Timo
Thanks a lot Timo! Now I have to reach out to my Udaipur friend to see if he can shed some light on this mystery