Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th December 2009, 10:32 AM   #1
stekemest

Default Ethiopian (?) quiver and arrows

Hi,

I recently got this quiver with three arrows, presumably from Ethiopia (and probably not very old). Are those the real thing or tourist stuff? Which tribe could they be attributed to?
Does it look "phallic" or is that just my fantasy?

Thanks for any further information,

Peter
Attached Images

stekemest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 02:28 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

FROM LOOKING AT THE PIC'S I WOULD SAY THEY WERE MADE FOR ACTUAL USE BY LOCALS. OF COURSE A TOURIST COULD HAVE BOUGHT THEM FOR A SOUVINEER, BUT IT LOOKS TO BE THE REAL DEAL. AS TO AGE IF IT WAS BOUGHT NEW AND NEVER USED, IT STILL COULD HAVE SOME AGE TO IT. ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS JUST BEEN USED AS A WALL HANGER OR LEFT IN A BOX OR DRAWER.
THE ARROWS LOOK SMALL AND OF A DESIGN TO PENETRATE AND HOLD PERHAPS USING POISON TO BRING DOWN THE GAME. THE QUIVER DOES LOOK PHALLIC BUT IF THAT IS FOR SOME PURPOSE OR OF SIGNIFICENCE I DON'T KNOW IT. CONGRADULATIONS A WELL MADE AND COMPLETE SET WITH NO DAMMAGE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Martin Lubojacky

It evokes Midgan quiver (Ethiopia - Somalia), but I would say this quiver is comming from the central part of Sahel region, probably from Niger.
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 06:13 PM   #4
colin henshaw

Hi

The books "Ata Epe" and "The Grayson Collection" both show this type of quiver and arrows as being from Somalia. Have a look at the University of Missouri website.

I would say they are of some age, just collected in a new condition.

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 06:47 PM   #5
stekemest

Thank you all very much. So it seems to be of Somali origin, which could fit to the provenance that was told to me (Ethiopia).
Old 27th December 2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Martin Lubojacky

Colin, I bought e x a c t l y the same quiver in Tripolis from people comming from Niger, cca 7 years ago (cannoct post picture, as I have it at home and I will be there in half a year). I looked at the Grayson Collection, you are right - the quivers are very, very similar.

Some time ago I bought nice quiver from Nuer in Ethiopia. After a few years I found nearly the same in one village in Mandara in North Cameroon ... isn´t it interesting ?

Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 01:54 PM   #7
colin henshaw

Hi Martin

Interesting topic, as you say. I think the answer could be for two reasons :-

Firstly, the peoples in question were often nomadic or semi-nomadic, so material would travel in this way. Secondly, many of these tribespeoples being Muslim, there was considerable traffic across the Sahel from West Africa to Arabia and back, to perform the Hajj, and this would also act as a conduit for material.

Seemingly, West African swords (takouba) were recovered from the Mahdist Sudan. I've also read somewhere that Moroccan pilgrims would pay their fare across the Red Sea with a jambiya...

But its a big subject, with much more to it and worthy of research, I guess...

Regards
Colin
Old 30th December 2009, 01:13 AM   #8
Wodimi

Hi Peter,

what you have is definitely a quiver from the Borana in South Ethiopia. They are used from the Borana hunter group called "wata". There are also Somali hunter groups coming from the east, who also use this typ of quiver.
Attached the plate 16 from the book "Galla Süd-Äthiopiens" where you will find the results of the Frobenius expedition in the years 1950-56. Also my example of a Borana quiver together with tree arrows.

a Happy New Year to you and all vikingsword members
Wolf

www.spearcollector.com
Attached Images

Wodimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 09:05 AM   #9
Rod Charters

Hi. I would say its coming from the "Bon" tribe, a group of generally former hunters and gatherers found in Somalia, South Eastern Ethiopia, and N.E. Kenya. I have a couple of similar examples bought in Somalia.

Regards

Rod
Rod Charters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 11:51 AM   #10
stekemest

Hi Wodimi,

Thank you for your opinion. The quiver you show looks a bit different, though - the cap of my quiver is simpler, it doesn't have those red bands and the arrowheads differ too (all the arrows I have look the same). I think the Somali piece is more akin to mine. What do the others think?

Thanks again for any help.
Peter
Old 31st December 2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Wodimi

Hi Peter,
which other Somali quiver you mean? I only see yours and mine and this Borana quiver from the book. The difference between yours and mine is in my eyes only the age. Yours I think is more recent and possibly never used. The sandglass shape is the same, the cap is simpler, that's right, but I think you never will find any second example which looks exact like the other. I think there is not only one man who makes such quivers and everyone did it a little bit other, a question of the possibilities the different producers have. This red strap on my quiver only hold the cap when it's took off. The arrowheads are different (age question) , but the shaft and kind of making are absolutey the same, including this 4 feathers at the end and this a little bit thicker part on the shaft where the arrowhead goes in. Last not least, this quiver typ seems to have a wide spread and you found it in Somalia, North Kenya and South Ethiopia. So in this case this ethnologists from this scientific expedition 60 years ago labeled him Borana, I do the same. But sure, everybody can label him as he like....
Happy New Year
Wolf
Wodimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 01:57 PM   #12
stekemest

Hi Wolf,

Sorry, I meant the one on the University of Missouri homepage:
http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/gra...verarrows.shtm (but at a second look, it looks quite different as well )

So I just label it as being from Ethiopia (which is quite likely as the seller told me he bought it there, but he didn't know anything else about it). Thank you very much.

By the way, I do think the quiver was used, as the leather looks stretched and worn.

Happy New Year,
Peter
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:32 PM   #13
colin henshaw

Hi

Here is another example from the book "Ata Epe" by Hendrik Wiethase" for your information...
Attached Images