Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th July 2015, 08:56 PM   #1
ward

Default Afghan Taliban ammo belt

Here is a ammo belt that I bought off a soldier while he was stationed in Afghanistan in 2006. Yes I go it APO from kubal with him stating "that he stripped it off a enemy insurgent". So we know reasonable certain that it was used in the timeframe of the war and dating it so. Why I was interested is look at pieces that are attached some older than others, but still being used at this late date
Attached Images

Last edited by ward; 27th July 2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
Here is a ammo belt that I bought off a soldier while he was stationed in Afghanistan in 2006. Yes I go it APO from kubal with him stating that he stripped it off a enemy insurgent. So we know reasonable certain that it was used in the war and dating it. Why I was interested is look at pieces that are attached some older than others, but still being used at this late date

Salaams ward, It is always nice to see these which are generally called Afghan belts though I have to say that they were not uncommon a few years ago in the Bazaars in Kabul. I doubt very much if the gear was taken from a captive but anyway it adds colour to the story...There is nothing I can see on the belt that would be of much use on an Ak74 or an RPG or any of the other weapons used by the insurgents, however, the added colour is interesting.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 10:10 PM   #3
ward

Yes I concede that the other one I got did have Russian ak pouches on it but this was more interesting. Could it be put together yes but all pieces have wear including the belt. I do not particularly care if it was Taliban more of the time it was used and the pieces it has. I paid little for it. I respect your opinion and it may be correct. more interesting is what is a proper time frame for the various pieces.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 12:26 PM   #4
rickystl

Hi Ward.
Most interesting. Hard to believe some of these items being used this late. But it shows the extent of recycling. Neat belt set.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote