Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th August 2006, 10:18 PM   #1
katana

Default African ceremonial axe......comments?

Just finished on eBay ...this IMHO interesting ceremonial axe.....Where is it from?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I've enhanced the picture.....seems to portray a snake....West African?
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Flavio

It's a récade a symbol of regal authority in Dahomey (West africa).
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 11:19 PM   #3
katana

Thanks Flavio.. ...was it a fair price?......is it a typical example?
Old 28th August 2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Rather

Hi Katana,

I found this link in an older thread, it gives a lot of informaton about the Récardes.
http://www.epa-prema.net/abomey/pedago/recades.htm

A very beautiful example!
Rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 12:39 PM   #5
katana

Thanks for the info. Rather ....I did bid on this... I just had that 'feeling' that this was a 'good' item. But not knowing it's worth .... I bid too low....
nevermind
Old 28th August 2006, 06:03 PM   #6
The Double D

I don't see a snake, I see an elephant. Does that mean anything? I don't know, I just see an elephant!
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 06:22 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

You may have something there. There was a special group of Palace Amazons that hunted elephants called the Gbeto. Apparently although not actually proven the king owned one of the tusks of every elephant taken with the option to take the rest on payment of compensation. When one thinks of the the royal set up of Amazons and Dahomey life, perhaps it may be an elephant and also a snake at the same time. I can see the eye of the elephant and the trunk. The trunk could transform into a snake. Observances of Dahomey art and society are not the most reliable and badly recorded and the system then lost after the French conquest so speculation may still have value.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 07:26 PM   #8
katana

The photo is not too clear but ...the end of the 'trunk' appears to have the top view of a snake's head. The 'coil' seemed to me, to be a representation of a 'snake at rest'. The head of the shaft seemed snake-like with the 'trunk' being its tongue.....however I did think the eye doesn't have a reptilian look..
there is no charactristic 'slit-like' pupil..... but I have since discovered , not all snakes have this attribute.(see photos of indigenious snakes fro W. Africa)
The main concern regarding elephants is that there are IMHO 3 main characteristics regarding their heads, trunk, tusks and large ears... I see no representation of the ears.....but...

I found this which is VERY INTERESTING......

African serpents were often referred to as "Elephant's face", Master of the Forest, or Mombo-wa-Ndlopfu. These serpents were credited with speech and though they had bad breath, weren't necessarily evil. Often associated with the flesh-eating maggots of corpses, ancestral spirits and ghosts favoured their form as a disguise (Ananikian & Werner, 1925). The African dragon-serpent has a long-standing enmity with the elephant; the 30 ft long dragon-serpents, known only as "Elephant killers" often hunt elephants, sometimes lying in wait in pairs and tripping their prey with knotted tails (Byrne [ed], 1979). During creation, when the God of the Masai came to the world, he met a Dorobo tribal member, an elephant and a serpent. Therefore, the serpent and elephant share a special level of creation, which perhaps partially explains the serpent's animosity for its fellow beast (Ananikian & Werner, 1925).

This is also very relavent.....

Chameleons are widely regarded with unreasoning fear, especially in West Africa, where various beliefs associate the reptile with the Sun. In Dahomey, the chameleons are said to fetch fire from the Sun.

I've posted a photo of a Chameleon......notice the spirally curled tail.....

A little about snake worship....

http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/vao/vao03.htm
Attached Images

Old 28th August 2006, 07:50 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

One also has to take into consideration that serpents are the link to godhead. Divine rule is not exclusively Dahomeyian.
Old 28th August 2006, 08:16 PM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Also among many African peoples (and Indian too) the elephant was the true king of the jungle, not the lion, and was a symbol of royalty and divine favor.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 09:15 PM   #11
Rather

It might be that the recarde just has by coincidence ornaments, which brings to our mind the resemblance to certain animals. I can not help, the one from my collation looks like a duck to me. Not in earnest the king of the jungle….
Attached Images

Rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 12:34 AM   #12
katana

All hail king Donald...........duck

Rather, I still see a snake, the tongue shaped as an axe blade.

I done some checking on the symbolism of the spiral....

The spiral is one of the oldest pagan symbols in existence. It represents the perpetual motion of life, with the spring-like coils suggesting latent power, presenting a picture of life as an endless, evolutionary process bound within the cycles of time. Although each loop of the spiral brings us back to the same place, it takes us to a higher and more evolved level.

Last edited by katana; 29th August 2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 29th August 2006, 07:28 AM   #13
Tim Simmons

The images on these are traditionally specific to a certain Kings rule. Thier "Bacio" a kind of protective totem. The last king Behanzin was a fish or a fish man and the king before Glele was a lion or lion man. Some may just carry general royal symbols to show the owners place in royal service.
Old 29th August 2006, 08:40 PM   #14
katana

Hi Tim, found this on the web....

Known as the "shark who made the ocean waters tremble," Gbehanzin was the son of one of Dahomey's most illustrious kings, Glele.4 Founded at the beginning of the seventeenth century, the kingdom of Dahomey rapidly expanded through military conquest until it reached its apogee in the nineteenth century. Gbehanzin's brief reign from 1889 to 1894 coincided with Dahomey's fall and conquest by French colonial forces.

Below is a statue of Gbenanzin stylised in his 'shark' form.

Also several more examples of recade... one of which has a chameleon in its design...
Attached Images

Old 29th August 2006, 09:15 PM   #15
Tim Simmons

David and all.

Please excuse a loud blast from my trumpet but as they say, if you have it flaunt it. This is a Gubasa. I have shown it before but not in any context as in this thread. It pertains to Gleles kingship and I believe is possibly rather rare. It is all tied up with the idea of divinity in the form of Gu.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 29th August 2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 29th August 2006, 09:52 PM   #16
katana

Hi Tim.......very nice You might find this interesting...

Several distinctive elements are attributes specifically connected with Glele's destiny as sovereign. Chief among these are the swords (gubasa), the preeminent deadly weapon associated with the war god, Gu.10 One of Glele's Fa phrases alludes to them: "The audacious knife [gubasa] gave birth to Gu and vengeance continues." Glele interpreted this as a mandate to sustain Dahomey's martial invincibility. In fulfilling his commitment to uphold Dahomey's independent and autonomous status, he adopted the imagery of the sword as a principal motif linking his legacy with that of his father, Guezo.

Below is a small statue of Glebe. In his hands, he holds two swords, with broad, curved blades, pierced by round and triangular holes.
Attached Images

Old 1st September 2006, 09:42 PM   #17
Tim Simmons

Just added this for extra effect. Approx 10cm long. Could come from many parts of Africa but it has a look about it.
Attached Images