Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th March 2011, 01:16 AM   #1
yuanzhumin

Default The Taiwanese aboriginal shields

A fellow member of this forum recently attracted my attention on an unknown South East Asian shield on sale :-) But it was not from Taiwan. Because he was curious to know more about the shields from this island, I thought that it could be a good opportunity to share with him and all of you a thread on this subject.

Taiwanese aborigine shields are a rare sight. During the nearly 15 years I collected Taiwan aborigines stuff, I only saw 2 shields available on the market. On my whole collection of close to 300 pieces from the Taiwan aborigines, I don't even have one shield. But I still hope I can put my hand on one in the future!

Niclas

THE TAIWAN ABORIGINES SHIELDS

If you look at the shields in South East Asia, we can see many examples in the museums or the private collections all around the world. Among the Austronesian tribes, these shields are mostly coming from the indigenous tribes of the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia. But what about the Taiwanese shields ? What about the Taiwanese aboriginal tribes that have been the cradle of the Austronesian culture that today encompasses most of the Pacific rim?

Of the 14 recognized aboriginal tribes in Taiwan, not many have used shields. The shields were found among the Paiwan mainly, the Puyuma or the Rukai -- that are Paiwanic tribes. The much different Amis, Tsou and Yami tribes used shields also, sometimes, but they were quite different in their shape and built.

The Paiwan shields

No round shape shields (Northern Asia influence), no stick/parade shields like in Australia or no shoulder shields among the Paiwan, but a ‘real’ shield, made in wood (no animal skin or no full rattan).

The Paiwan had a gable roof shape shield that is made usually of two planks, sometimes only one piece of wood, like it is the case for some other South East Asian tribes (Nias, Batak…) that uses also the same very special shape in their shields.

The two planks are usually joined together at the middle by rattan, at an angle of around 140 degrees. This kind of construction is quite flexible in the way that when the shield is hit, the weapons rips on it, offering much less compressive forces.

These shields have a horizontal wooden handle behind, sometimes doubled with a rattan secondary vertical handle, giving to the set of handles a T shape. The wood horizontal handle is slightly curved and attached to the main body with rattan.

In addition, sometimes an additional rattan string is fixed in diagonal to the both tip of the shield in order to hold it on the back or to protect the body in front, while being able to handle the weapons with the both hands (spears, knives).

All Paiwan shields are decorated with traditional or auspicious designs. The zig zag design often found on the upper and lower part of the shield can represent, the snake skin -- the snake being the mythic original ancestors of the Paiwan -- or wild boar tusks, one of the most common game.

Usual other motives are human heads, alined or not, or figures representing powerful protective ancestors. The double circle design, also very common, symbolizes the sun. These designs are sometimes colored.

We can also see sometimes some hunting scenes carved on these shields, with the Formosan deer a favorite motive. The deer is a traditional game, but it is also a kind of vehicle for hunting ritual/shamanic practices.

The other Taiwan tribes shields

The other island shields are quite rare and different.

The Amis are not considered mountains tribes, as are the Paiwan.
They used a long wooden shield, in one piece only. It is slightly concave on the front and with a vertical handle made of an attached curved piece of wood. We have some examples of Paiwan shields in collections today, but only a couple of these Amis shields.

As rare as the Amis shields, we have also Tsou or Bunun shields. Their shield style is completely different from the Amis one and very similar to the Paiwan --obvious influence from their neighbour. It doesn’t seem they used it commonly as there is not much period pictures of them or real samples that were transmitted to us.

The Yami (also called sometimes Tao), from the small Botel Tobago island (Orchid island, Lanyu in Chinese), South East of Taiwan, are the only oceanic culture among the Formosan aborigines. Very different in their way of living, they didn't practice head hunting -- a common ritual among all the Taiwan island tribes.

Because the Yami had frequent wars from one to one of the 5 main villages of the island, they developped an armour made of fish skin -- a very unic concept. They also developped a shield, made of wooden sticks attached together to form a flat and archaic style shield.

Quite wide and high, it was more used a ‘protective barrier’ placed on the ground, in front of the holder, behind which it was easy to hide. The needs were different as the fightings were usually stopped before or as soon as someone was killed or seriously wounded in which case a tribute was given to compensate the family of the deceased.
Attached Images

Last edited by yuanzhumin; 29th March 2011 at 03:30 AM.
yuanzhumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 01:19 AM   #2
yuanzhumin

Other examples of Paiwan shields (reproduction from a Chen Chi-lu book in Chinese on the Paiwan material culture)
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2011, 01:23 AM   #3
yuanzhumin

Few more illustrations on the Paiwan shields
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2011, 01:25 AM   #4
yuanzhumin

Shields with their owner in real situations.
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2011, 01:31 AM   #5
yuanzhumin

The other Taiwan tribes shields: the pictures and illustrations are very rare.
The first picture is one of a band of Tsou warriors, the second is an old Amis, the third shows the different types of taiwanese shields. The last one is showing a Yami warrior with his shield in hand demonstrating how to use it on the war field.
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2011, 03:17 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

What a great and fascinating resource, thank you.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 05:37 AM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

VERY INTERESTING I HAVE SEEN THE SHIELDS THAT LOOK LIKE A SMALL PIECE OF FENCE MADE UP OF STICKS USED ELSE WHERE. THE LARGE ONE WITH THE LONG POINT AT THE TOP REMINDS ME OF THE FORMS USED IN PARTS OF NEW GUINEA.
THE OTHER FORMOSAN SHIELDS MADE OF TWO PIECES OF FLAT WOOD FORMED INTO A V SHAPE AND THE HANDLE SETS THE ANGLE AND HELPS HOLD THE TWO PIECES TOGETHER. I CAN'T THINK OF ANYPLACE ELSE THAT DOES THAT, BUT THEN I AM CERTAINLY NO SHIELD EXPERT. THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION AS NOW IF I EVER SEE SUCH A SHIELD I WILL KNOW WHAT IT IS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 07:18 AM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Default Thank you.

A beautiful and informative treatise, thank you.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 07:45 AM   #9
KuKulzA28

I did not know much about Taiwanese shields, now I know much more, thanks!
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Martin Lubojacky

Very interesting, thank you.
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 05:20 PM   #11
migueldiaz

Wonderful! Thanks.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Sajen

Thank you very much for this information! Some shields are reminisent of some Toraja shields.

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 01:59 AM   #13
billevans

Default taiwan shield

A Taiwan shield in my collection
Attached Images

billevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 03:28 AM   #14
Battara
EAAF Staff

W W!

That is beautifully fantastic!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 10:46 AM   #15
Sajen

Agree with Jose, beautiful and rare shield!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 12:01 PM   #16
KuKulzA28

billevans, any idea what group it is from? My guess would be southern but I don't know if Rukai, paiwan, or... what
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote