Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th June 2008, 07:09 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Strange piece back, for coments

I have bought this piece from Freddy D'hont.
He has posted it here over one year ago, but its identification wasn't quite clarified.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=freddy
After the various considerations were woven,the similar example sugested by Emanuel was an eBay link that was removed in the mean time ... which i regret i didn't see. The pictures shown in the thread and the sugestion that this could be an Indonesian clurit, don't seem to give the right evidence ... i would say.
This could indeed be a chopper of some kind, not certainly for light use, as its 840 grams weight ( almost two pounds) gives it a trough and an impact similar to a timber cutting axe ... if that is good for an example.
Its blade has a thickness of 10 m/m at the socket starting point. If it has not been created as a weapon, it would certainly make a formidable one.
I also don't think it has once been a pole arm, as it looks to heavy and not handy to be in the point of a long haft ... again i would say.
I thaught that, after all this time, with the incoming of new members and also more experiences had by the "veterans", someone could be familiar with this apparently strange device, as to favour me with some idea of what it could be and where it comes from.
Fernando
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Complete guess work but there is some similarity to the native weapons of Formosa or modern day Taiwan. It might be a good idea to get in touch with our fellow member "yanchouming" "zanchouming" if that is the right spelling. There are not many members starting with a Y or Z so it is not hard.

This is the chap----yuanzhumin

Sorry I have just read the link thread and we have been down that road. Does not mean it is completely wrong.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 28th June 2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: read the link
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

That seems to be a banana knife I think? Saw something very similar in an old catalog some years back. Definately a farming tool.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 06:44 PM   #4
fernando

Thank you Tim, for your willing to help.
Thank you Lew. So i will consider this a specimen of the banana choppers family. I will be browsing the Net for the next few days, to try and find one of such kind; allways a pleasure to spot an identified specimen similar to ours.
If ever you or any member remembers where to find pictures of one of these, i will much obliged.
Thanks again.
Old 1st July 2008, 06:35 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Default Weapon--- not tool for my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
That seems to be a banana knife I think? Saw something very similar in an old catalog some years back. Definately a farming tool.

Lew
I have had a look at Banana knives on Google and they all appear to be much lighter than this item. Also the ones shown are attached to a pole to reach the fruit. I am plugging for a weapon of some sort. The handle appears to have a groove to facilitate a retaining cord of some sort. A nice and very interesting item I hope that someone can identify it positively!
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 08:03 PM   #6
fernando

Thank you Stuart.
Besides the grooves, it also has a hole through the grip to pass a lanyard of some sort.
I wish i could spot somewhere one of these things, well identified, with either a short handle or a long haft, before i go bananas myself .
Fernando
Old 1st July 2008, 09:08 PM   #7
katana

Hi Fernando,
here is a modern traditional banana knife

http://www.fao.org/inpho/content/doc.../ae615e031.htm

Kind Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote