Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th June 2013, 10:31 AM   #1
G.William

Default Snaphaunce rifle

Recently acquired this rifle as part of a collection. I have no real information except that it was brought to the states from Italy in the early thirty's.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
G.W.
Attached Images

G.William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 02:22 PM   #2
RDGAC

Can't tell you much at a quick glance, apart from that I think that's a North African moukhalla. Probably should get this moved to the Ethnographic Weapons forum.

Edit: Quick work those mods!

Last edited by RDGAC; 14th June 2013 at 04:30 PM.
RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 04:45 PM   #3
RDGAC

A few observations, from looking more closely. First, the lock looks old but isn't the original, unless there's also absent some considerable quantity of inlay or filler material. Second, the gun as a whole looks rough, plainly built, and generally battered about, but not knowing much about them I can't really say anything about the date. 19th Century, Taroudant region, at a guess?

Third, it would be really useful to have a close-up photo of those barrel proof marks, but without the bright light bouncing back into the camera. They don't look British, but that's all I can say. Turkish, perhaps?

Does the lock still work? Test gently if you're not sure, or better still, get it off and take a good look at the inside. Broken springs and such are a constant hazard.

Is there a large repair beneath those big iron plates hammered into the stock towards the butt, or are they purely aesthetic?
RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 03:21 PM   #4
G.William

RDGAC Yes the gun has seen better days. All the functions of the lock work but mainspring is broken. The repair is a repair as crude as it is. The butt was completely broken off sometime in it's past.
I've posted the best pic's I can as for the proofs.
Attached Images

G.William is offline   Reply With Quote