Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd June 2011, 05:34 PM   #1
terry1956

Default spontoon

hi, I picked up this spontoon some time back and to me it looks and feels wrong. the staff was a plastic varnish coated think with know age at all. but i am not sure of the blade and fittings. the cross arms have been stamped with the number 3. and there is a metal washer stamped out with a square hole which as split the metal ring which fits between the blade head and staff what do you all think. There is no sign of dust, or useage on the metal parts. what do you think, michael
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 23rd June 2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Pictures direct upload.
terry1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 07:04 AM   #2
M ELEY

Sorry, Terry, but I'm thinking repro. Although there were some types of spontoons and pikes with screw-in type fittings, they were primitive affairs. Everything about this piece screams 'new'. My 2 cents...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 07:46 AM   #3
terry1956

Default spontoon

Hi. M Ely.yes thats my feeling. i bid on this from a well known uk arms and armour auction house with out viewing it first, when it was send to me weeks after i just had this feeling i had been done.
at the moment it is back with the auction house, i send it back on the same day, and they have had this item for over two months with nothing being done.
I will never ever buy anything without viewing it myself first again.
michael
Old 26th June 2011, 12:48 PM   #4
M ELEY

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Anyone that's collected for any time will eventually get served a bad deal eventually! It's happened to me on several occasions. Glad you were able to return it. Seems strange that an auction house wouldn't screen their wares better...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 04:23 PM   #5
terry1956

Default in answer

hi, well i send it back to the auction house with a cover note stateing my feelings about the age of the item. they rang back saying they would send it to leeds armoury for dating, and I know that over 8 week have pasted and they have done nothing about it.
I plan to contact them again next week and set a dead line to deal with this all get a full refund on the item.
so the stories not over yet.
I know that a much larger auction house in london had an arms and armour auction this month, and a few so say 1st empire items did not sale on the day, and you know it, reproductions of the very same items can be got off the internet.
michael
Old 1st July 2011, 01:55 AM   #6
Hotspur

Here is a thread from the past posted by forumnaut and collector Brian Rollanson. It has several pictures of his apart.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?89616

While the thread is quite flatter and a bit shorter, the thread pitch seems spot on to that one. I would not necessarily dismiss it on the point of the threads as by the time of the 19th century spontoons, thread machining pretty well said and done (look t 19th century English fiirearms for instance).

Here are a couple of crappy pictures of my Hanwei reproduction that has a much finer screw thread along with a point to help guide the errant assembler. Brian's could have flattened a great deal just in use vs the one listed above that might be brand spanking new but still a couple of centuries old. We have all seen as new arms that are that old.

I am not familiar with other more recent reproductions of these but another trait to my own Hanwei (now discontinued but still on the shelves here and there) is that the langets are of mild stainless steel welded to the socket itself. That stymied me in going to age my own for my own purposes. I also added a fourth hole. I don't have great pictures of other period examples of the British model but they were manufactured abroad as well as in England. They supposedly saw service for half a century and were both hafted as "quarter" pike and half pike in length. The longer ones nine feet tall.

I'd love to see the haft fasteners of the one listed here and other examples. I ended up not fastening mine flush but used rose head nails but I see most originals now as flush rivets.

Was there any shoe on the haft? I wouldn't either necessarily say an orifginal was not rehafted. I think a lot of polearm collectors wonder the same things though and reproductions do go back in time.

Cheers

GC
Attached Images

Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 04:59 PM   #7
terry1956

Default spontoon

hi, sorry not for getting back sooner, been away. great link, I see that yours is the same shape etc, but the tread is finer, I have joined the other forum and hope to get some more infor from fellow members. thanks again, michael