Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 9th March 2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Raja Muda

Default Keris Jawa for Comment

Gentlemen,

It has been a while. I have recently acquired this keris and as I have very little experience with keris Jawa, I was wondering if our esteemed forum members could assist me with identifying the dhapur and tangguh of this keris. The hilt is somewhat unusual, made of bone with interesting carvings. I hope someone can shed light on the origins of the ukiran too. The blade came without a warangka, and I'm still considering whether to dress it in a proper Javanese warangka, or some other sheath which I can get my hands on here in Malaysia. Regards
Attached Images

Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Muda
Gentlemen,

It has been a while. I have recently acquired this keris and as I have very little experience with keris Jawa, I was wondering if our esteemed forum members could assist me with identifying the dhapur and tangguh of this keris. The hilt is somewhat unusual, made of bone with interesting carvings. I hope someone can shed light on the origins of the ukiran too. The blade came without a warangka, and I'm still considering whether to dress it in a proper Javanese warangka, or some other sheath which I can get my hands on here in Malaysia. Regards
The ukiran would be from Madura (...or around area). Sometimes there is (around the base) a metal ring (a kind of selut).............. Your hilt seems very nice
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 02:50 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Better, closer photos would be helpful. I'd say that the blade looks more Javanese than Madurese. Personally i think this would be best dressed in Javanese clothing.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Raja Muda

Default More pictures

Additional pictures though I must say my photographic skills are quite rudimentary.
Attached Images

Last edited by Raja Muda; 10th March 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10th March 2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Gustav

oncemore.
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 04:05 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Muda
Additional pictures though I must say my photographic skills are quite rudimentary.
Rudimentary perhaps Raja, but these new images are much better for making assessments than just that first over all shot.
... and thanks Gustav, for taking the time to give them proper orientation.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Sajen

Nice hilt, like Marco write from Madura or East Java. Blade seems to be from good quality. Do you plan to etch the blade?

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Raja Muda

Default Staining

Thanks Gustav, like a compass needle, the blade does look better pointing north. Sajen, I rather like the patina of the blade at the moment, so I will probably go as far as cleaning it with some lime juice and oiling it.

I have not personally handled warangan myself, and I don't quite like the idea of keeping it around the house, as I have a toddler running around these days.

I have seen some attempts at staining by other collectors, though I can say the results can be patchy in inexpert hands, yielding more greyish tinge than true black. I don't think I want to risk it.