Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 19th January 2016, 09:26 PM   #1
M ELEY

Default 18th century hanger

Here's an old soldier with an unfortunately cut down blade. Still, a classic pattern dating from the Revolution used by hunters, infantry and sailors. The grip is stag antler and the fine shell guard hangs tight to the blade. The shortened blade must have been cut contemporary to its use, as the patina is even. Close examples from Neumann includes 24S, 64S, and 87S. An exact type (sans shortened blade) is seen in a Rev War soldier's trunk, pg 37, of 'American Revolution' (Doring Kindersley books), whose images were taken from the Smithsonian. Likewise, on pg 77,figure 17 of Gilkerson's 'Boarders Away', there is a pen sketch of this same sword. While not a provenance naval piece, it certainly fits the category of short hanger, precursor to later cutlasses and popular with naval men.
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 19th January 2016 at 10:35 PM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 06:49 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Mark,
Remiss in not responding to this sooner, and always exciting to see new items you post. These stag horn hilt hangers were of course always popular with officers and of course the shortened blade does often suggest naval use.
The fact that the patina corresponds to the sword overall in age is great confirmation of contemporary alteration.

What is most interesting is the scallop shell guard from the quillon center. In a concurrent thread on the large Spanish cup hilt we are discussing the presence of these striated scallop shell features which are a prevalent instance in many Spanish weapons. While this of course extends outside that sphere is well established, and it seems interesting to consider perhaps the presence of these on Dutch weapons perhaps from Spanish influence in the Netherlands ?
We know that English and Dutch weapons had strong parallels, which of course extended to America throughout the colonial periods.

Meanwhile, the scallop shell has profound presence in the well known Spanish colonial espada ancha, which may also account for cross influence.

It would be interesting to consider variations of these and other hangers attributed to different countries with this feature and more on this significant feature.
While there is perhaps often an inclination to associate the scallop shell to maritime themes, it is actually in Spanish parlance in my opinion, as many others, toward the symbol for St. James of Compostela.

Thanks for sharing this great example Mark. I always find that sort of hump back configuration on the horn grip intriguing.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:57 AM   #3
M ELEY

Thanks for responding, Jim and always great to hear from you! I had been following your correspondence on that spectacular cuphilt on the other thread. As you pointed out, there seems to have been quite a bit of 'sharing' when it came to popular sword patterns and designs. Duely noted are the espada ancha, with their striated shell guards and patterns. I have a French hanger with brass hilt I've posted in the past with nautical designs/shell decorations. This process of similar decorations and designs, coupled with the routes of trade, always create intriguing possible connections. I was very surprised to see them on the inner bars of that cuphilt. Again, thanks for commenting and 'tipping the hat' towards a possible naval connection, Cap'n Jim!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 06:49 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Thanks for responding, Jim and always great to hear from you! I had been following your correspondence on that spectacular cuphilt on the other thread. As you pointed out, there seems to have been quite a bit of 'sharing' when it came to popular sword patterns and designs. Duely noted are the espada ancha, with their striated shell guards and patterns. I have a French hanger with brass hilt I've posted in the past with nautical designs/shell decorations. This process of similar decorations and designs, coupled with the routes of trade, always create intriguing possible connections. I was very surprised to see them on the inner bars of that cuphilt. Again, thanks for commenting and 'tipping the hat' towards a possible naval connection, Cap'n Jim!

You bet Mark!!!!
Always a pleasure to see your input as well, and always looking forward to one day to see the 'Eley Nautical Museum' !!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote