Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th October 2018, 02:56 PM   #1
haagen

Default Historical Khanjar

This Khanjar is owned by family for recent years. I think the blade is very unique. I believe the Khanjar could be from 70s. So if any expert could tell me more about it would be a pleasure.
haagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagen
This Khanjar is owned by family for recent years. I think the blade is very unique. I believe the Khanjar could be from 70s. So if any expert could tell me more about it would be a pleasure.

Hi haagen ,

Without photos it is impossible to judge.

Kurt
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Kubur

1870s. I hope...
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 09:50 AM   #4
haagen

Default Pictures Khanjar

There are the pictures. So any details about the Khanjar would be great. Thx
Attached Images

haagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Thank You Haagen for a very interesting and peculiar project Khanjar which was probably made on the Baatinah Coast of Oman as you say in perhaps the 1970s. It is in the Baatinah style See The Omani Khanjar in this Forum. That thread carries more excellent references as well.

What is extraordinary about this weapon is the blade which says in Arabic brka .. Barka is a place on the Baatinah whose fort can be seen at Forts and Cannon of Oman again on Forum Library... In fact in India which was very much in touch as a destination with the Baatinah by sea the name Barka is that of a famous Hindu Princess apparently. While it would be quite romantic to have this related to a Hindu named Princess I would doubt that since Oman is Muslim but I just wanted to show we had looked at the possibility.

What makes the blade interesting is this cartouche with the name in it and the fact that this is not a normal steel Omani blade but is Wootz..(watered steel) not often seen on Omani weapons. It could be Indian. The remainder of the weapon is standard and with what looks like a cow horn hilt. I wonder if you may know where it was obtained? There may be the possibility it was collected as a tourist weapon whilst your people were visiting the region.

Thus so far as I can deduce; An Omani Khanjar in standard profile and silver stitched adornment of the 4 ringer Baatinah (from Barka near Muscat) form on a Cowhorn Hilt with an extraordinary blade in Wootz with an unfamiliar and unusual cartouche which because it says Barka may be a tourist item.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 31st October 2018 at 10:48 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 11:22 AM   #6
ariel

Looks pattern welded to me.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote