Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th May 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Sajen

Default Maguindanao kris and some questions

Today I received this kris, I think that it is a Maguindanao kris from 1900-1920 which I show you in it's original state. The nice grainded pommel is loose and fixed with rotan wrapping and the back crest was broken and fixed with two wooden nails. I think that I will fix the pommel but of course with keeping the rotan wrapping. I am unsure if I should restore the broken crest, it is loose a little bit so I am sure that I can separate it and can reglue it in a better way, otherwise I like the flair of this tribal repair. What do you think? The blade will be cleaned and etched in the hope that it will show a nice lamination.
The kris was brought to the States by Per Ramee who was in the Philippines from 1910 to 1927 as instructor for shooting at Fort Wiliam McKinley (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_William_McKinley).

All comments are very appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 19th May 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Sajen

More pictures.
Attached Images

Old 19th May 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Indianajones

Nice one again!
Yes this blade could indeed use a clean and etch! (as I am perhaps not against etching but just against destroying patine friend) And perhaps a nice modest polish after.
Hope you can wiggle the once broken end off easily and a good thing those pins are wood instead of ironnails; would be a hell of a job otherwise! You might first wrap a cloth around the endpiece for better grip.

Tip; to make a most tight fit after (loosening), you might need/consider to slightly grind the 2 breaksurfaces a bit hollow or concave. Otherwise -I know from experience- the glue will always be 'in the way' of the most tight fix.
With making concave I mean that only the outeredges will be very slightly standing above the rest of the breaksurface.

Good to have a history with it and . . .the scabbard.
(Hope you are not cross with me for my last comment on etching the tabak?! It was just my love for these blades n patine that came up )
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Nice one again!
Yes this blade could indeed use a clean and etch! (as I am perhaps not against etching but just against destroying patine friend) And perhaps a nice modest polish after.
Hope you can wiggle the once broken end off easily and a good thing those pins are wood instead of ironnails; would be a hell of a job otherwise! You might first wrap a cloth around the endpiece for better grip.

Tip; to make a most tight fit after (loosening), you might need/consider to slightly grind the 2 breaksurfaces a bit hollow or concave. Otherwise -I know from experience- the glue will always be 'in the way' of the most tight fix.
With making concave I mean that only the outeredges will be very slightly standing above the rest of the breaksurface.

Good to have a history with it and . . .the scabbard.
(Hope you are not cross with me for my last comment on etching the tabak?! It was just my love for these blades n patine that came up )

Thank you Wouter, still unsure if I shall restore it.

Don't worry about the tabak, you have a good point to let the blade untouched!
Old 26th May 2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Sajen

160 views and no further comments?
Old 26th May 2012, 05:27 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

I'll jump on board Detlef.
Ah, to restore or not to restore...always the question. Here are my thoughts on this one.
This has some really interesting native repairs going on. I especially like the wooden nails. Some interesting history there for sure. If this were mine i wouldn't change those a bit. I would simply clean it up a bit and maybe try to secure the pommel a bit if possible. You certainly can't remove the rattan and ever expect to get it back properly in place again. So i would clean up the blade and wood a bit and leave it be.
I really like this sheath btw.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I'll jump on board Detlef.
Ah, to restore or not to restore...always the question. Here are my thoughts on this one.
This has some really interesting native repairs going on. I especially like the wooden nails. Some interesting history there for sure. If this were mine i wouldn't change those a bit. I would simply clean it up a bit and maybe try to secure the pommel a bit if possible. You certainly can't remove the rattan and ever expect to get it back properly in place again. So i would clean up the blade and wood a bit and leave it be.
I really like this sheath btw.
Thank's a lot David!

And nice to read that someone have the same thoughts about the congeniality of this native repairs. I like this repair with the two wooden nails as well but what disturb this look in my opinion is that the broken crest isn't nailed exactly again, look at picture 9 where you can see the nails and since the broken crest is a little bit lose I am afraid that it can break again. So here my plan I have in mind: with a little bit patience it will be possible to open the broken pommel again without destroy. When this is possible you will be able to push aside the rattan. After this I can secure the pommel safe, than I can put the rattan again over the pommel and fix the broken crest again in a better way but let the repair visible.
The sheath and this native repair was the reason why I bought this kris. It is a big and heavy pice btw.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 9th June 2012, 10:40 PM   #8
kai

Hello Detlef,

That looks like a Maguindanao blade, indeed. Please post dimensions!

Possibly upper Cota Bato region and maybe after 1910? (The engraving looks a bit crude, too.) Does look like this kris had seen serious action and wear though...

IMHO it should be possible to nicely reglue the repaired crest - no need for grinding, just carefully remove the old glue (some water (damp towel) may help to get it loose), dry carefully and glue again. The break should be almost invisible except for the minute chipping (which could be filled). The wooden pins (bamboo?) will do fine - apparently the glue failed.

Wetting the rattan will allow to get it off without breaking anything. I can't guarantee that the dried rattan will hold the pommel tight again but at least in theory it should...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Sajen

Hello Kai,

thank's for comment! The kris is huge, 73 cm inside the sheath with a blade from 56 cm.

I think a restauration like this will be possible, will provide pictures when it is done.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 30th June 2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Sajen

The restauration/repair at the pommel is done. The pommel byself is strong fixed again and the back crest is fixed in a better way but this old field repair is still visible.
Attached Images

Old 30th June 2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Much nicer and better work. Congratulations!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Much nicer and better work. Congratulations!
Thank you Jose! But wasn't successful with my first etching attempt. Will try it again later.

Best regards,

Detlef