Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th April 2015, 04:02 AM   #1
Green

Default Keris blade styles

Hi all;

I'm Malaysian but like the great majority of us we are quite ignorant about our own heritage particularly about Keris. I'm beginning to take an interest and have 6 keris in my collection now but very much a novice when it comes to finer details and knowledge about this fascinating weapon.

This forum helps me a lot in understanding aspects of keris but I see that it is more Indonesian centric, which is absolutely fine by me.

I'm planning to go and visit 'panday besi' in Kelantan , Malaysia next week and I don't want to look too ignorant so I hope some of you can explain something about the following:-

1) the styles of blades associated with Malaysian keris that they referred to as a) Maleulla, b)pandai saras c) tok chu d) charita? e) others?. Some of these may also be Indonesian style but Im not sure.

2) Any tips to identify old and new blades?

Thank you very much and looking forward to your help.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 05:53 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Welcome to the forums Green .
When I checked in this morning to moderate posts I inadvertently deleted your other post .

Could you please re-post that one ?
My apologies .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 09:17 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Welcome to the forum Green.
I think that the emphasis lands on Indonesia and more specifically Jawa because that is the birth place of the keris. But we certainly deal with Malay side keris quite a lot. You will find much in our archives on Malay blades if you search. I look forward to your posts and contributions.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 12:30 AM   #4
Green

Rick;

I can't remember any other recent post in Keris warung kopi that I sent apart from this one (about Malaysian kris blade styles)...

David;

My head is spinning reading all the very instructive and fascinating arguments and comments by so many enthusiasts and experts in the old threads/posts but so far haven't come across any to specifically answer my concerns about the (Malay) blade styles.

As to the comment about Indonesia as the main keris cultural base, I'm sure that will get Malaysians quite mad because they also think that kris is their cultural heritage from the beginning too!

Hilts and scabbards of Malay styles are markedly different from the Indonesian ones . For example the Tajong (Pekaka) hilt style is believed to originally come from the Malay Sultanate of Patani (Now Southern Thailand ).
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 03:18 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, there is always room for debate Green, but most collectors and writers i am aware of clearly place the origins of the keris in Jawa. This does not mean that the keris is not a also a piece of Malay cultural heritage, but from all my studies i have never seen keris older that certain examples that are clearly Javanese in origin. Most of the Malay collectors i know seem to agree that the keris began in Jawa and migrated outward to the Peninsula. However, the floor is always open for new information and evidence and i would love to see some Malay keris that have a provenance as early as some Javanese keris i have seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
so far haven't come across any to specifically answer my concerns about the (Malay) blade styles.
Perhaps if you voiced your specific concerns you will find someone can answer them. What are you trying to ascertain?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Sajen

Hello Green,

here you can see my Pandai Saras blade: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=pandai+saras
Here another one: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=pandai+saras

Here you can see two Carita blades: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=pandai+saras

And here a Melela blade: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=melela

Tok Chu is a pandai keris and not a specific blade form. I hope this help a little bit.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote