Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th June 2023, 12:08 AM   #1
wildwolberine

Default Barung or keping-type sword, re-handled?

New addition to the collection. Hoping to get some input on this. Can I call this a barung or keping? Blade is pretty thin, slightly tapered. I suspect it’s an older blade that’s been re-handled. If so, can anyone identify the sword the hilt would have originally belonged to? I noticed the blade has a “x” mark similar to my Luzon Hundang. I was able to wiggle the hilt off with little effort. Overall feels like a well-used piece. I feel it might be from Palawan? Thanks!

Dimensions: 52 cm overall length, 41 cm by 6 cm blade.
Attached Images

wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2023, 02:57 AM   #2
chmorshuutz

At first look I thought it's from Palawan as well, mainly because of the rattan weaving. If it's indeed from Palawan, they call it badung.
chmorshuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2023, 06:57 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi WW:

Interesting piece you have there. I took your picture and outlined where the maximum width of the blade occurs. It is actually on the hilt side of the blade rather than further towards the tip. A Palawano badung has a much more forward-weighted blade, with the maximum width closer to the tip than the hilt. Thus, this is not a Palawano badung IMHO. It is more in keeping with a Sulu blade that has been dressed in another fashion.

In the following picture, I have shown the line of maximum width on your blade and also two arrowed features of your scabbard: one is the slanted area of attachment for a string belt; the other is a small "wing" to the throat of the scabbard on its bottom side.

Name:  Chavacano bolo 2.png
Views: 435
Size:  626.9 KB

Now compare this arrangement with a Zamboanga bolo. There is the same slanted attachment for the belt and a similar wing on the scababrd. Also, the hilts are made from similar light-colored hardwood and are consistent with a Zamboanga origin.

Name:  Chavacano bolo.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  36.9 KB

Here are some further pictures of that bolo, which is probably of WWII vintage.

Name:  Chavacano bolo--blade-2.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  65.8 KB
Name:  Chavacano bolo--blade-1.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  90.9 KB

And here is an old picture of Chavacano men wearing these bolos. The similar scabbard styles to yours are readily apparent.

Name:  Chavacano men with bolos.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  180.9 KB

To summarize, I think you have either a Sulu barung blade dressed in Chavacano fashion, or a bolo made and assembled in Zamboanga.

Last edited by Ian; 7th June 2023 at 07:21 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2023, 11:10 PM   #4
wildwolberine

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. This forum is such a great resource for folks who appreciate ethnographic edged weapons!
wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote