Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th June 2023, 04:12 PM   #1
Sajen

Default A little patrem for comment

And here a patrem, received it in very bad condition.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2023, 05:01 PM   #2
GIO

Nice keris. Did you restore it ? If so, very good work.
I would only change the hilt
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2023, 05:13 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO View Post
Why would you change the hilt Gio?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2023, 05:35 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Thank you GIO,

I've done the care, the new stain it received from a man in the Netherlands. The most patrem I've seen/handled/owned have had rather simple handles, this one coming with the blade and is likely the original one, similar the simple mendak from brass. So it will stay with the blade.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 8th June 2023, 08:48 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Thank you GIO,

I've done the care, the new stain it received from a man in the Netherlands. The most patrem I've seen/handled/owned have had rather simple handles, this one coming with the blade and is likely the original one, similar the simple mendak from brass. So it will stay with the blade.

Regards,
Detlef
I would agree with you on that. Blades are generally simple too and this does indeed seem to be an authentic ensemble worthy of preserving. I might attempt to replace a hilt if it displays real damage. Upgrading the quality of the hilt on an ensemble like this would not suit it's status in the culture IMO. It would also probably be difficult to find a small planar hilt of better quality that would fit the scale of a patrem.
I have a thing for patrems for some reason and have a few of them in my collection. I like this one.
Old 8th June 2023, 09:26 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I would agree with you on that. Blades are generally simple too and this does indeed seem to be an authentic ensemble worthy of preserving. I might attempt to replace a hilt if it displays real damage. Upgrading the quality of the hilt on an ensemble like this would not suit it's status in the culture IMO. It would also probably be difficult to find a small planar hilt of better quality that would fit the scale of a patrem.
I have a thing for patrems for some reason and have a few of them in my collection. I like this one.
Hello David,

I agree completely with you! I as well have a thing with patrems and have as well a few in my collection.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 9th June 2023, 03:43 PM   #7
GIO

David,
I would change the hilt only because I prefer more detailed carvings. But I admit that I may be absolutely wrong.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2023, 07:35 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
David,
I would change the hilt only because I prefer more detailed carvings. But I admit that I may be absolutely wrong.
I can understand that. From my perspective however, it is not always a matter of what i prefer. We all collect for keris for different reasons, but for the most part i am looking for sincere and authentic ensembles in my collection. In general patrems tend to be rather simple and unassuming in both blade and dress. It seems very likely that Detlef's patrem is dressed exactly as it would have been in cultural usage. For me, especially as someone from outside the culture, it makes little sense to change the hilt to a more elaborate and detailed form simply to please my own preference for more detailed carvings. I am attempting to collect artifacts of authentic culture that actually served a function within that specific society. For me it is not a "built your own salad" scenario.