Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 24th September 2005, 06:05 PM   #1
fengmodao

Default Hello , I am a new member who comes from China !

1,2,3=In the 18 centuries China Qing Dynasty , the weapon of palace manufacturing . Refinement and breadth of mind widen .
4=Several a hundred years still could be shot the compound bow of the ox horn of China Mongolia , and technology is consummate ! !
5=The kind is various to the weapon that the different armies used . It is very big to cooperate good power .
Attached Images

fengmodao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2005, 06:26 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

A warm welcome to you, and a very nice display you are showing.
I am colleting Indian myself, but i can apresiate nice weapons form other places.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2005, 07:11 PM   #3
Bill

Welcome Fengmodao, I was lucky enough to see the Emperor Qianlong, Forbidden City exhibit when it was in Chicago. It was fantastic.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2005, 03:25 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

WELCOME,
I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED CHINESE ARTEFACTS AND HAVE SEEN SEVERAL EXHIBITS HERE IN THE USA OVER THE YEARS. MOST EXHIBITS HAD A FEW WEAPONS BUT MOSTLY FOCUS ON BRONZE CEREMONIAL PIECES, CERAMICS (TERRA COTA WARRIORS)AND SCROLL PAINTINGS. IT IS GOOD TO HAVE A MEMBER FROM CHINA HERE ON THE FORUM TO ADD TO OUR KNOWLEGE. I HAVE VISITED CHINA 3 TIMES OVER THE YEARS BUT NEVER SAW ANY LARGE COLLECTIONS OF WEAPONS, THE LARGEST WAS IN THE MUSEUM AT TINAMIN SQUARE. IT WOULD BE GOOD TO KNOW WHERE ANY OTHER NICE EXHIBITS ARE LOCATED IN CHINA AS WELL AS WHERE ANY GOOD DEALERS IN CHINESE WEAPONS COULD BE LOCATED. I NEVER HAD ANY LUCK FINDING GOOD OLD AUTHENTIC WEAPONS AND UNDERSTAND THAT THEY PASSED A LAW THAT NOTHING OVER 100 YEARS OLD COULD BE EXPORTED. THE OTHER PROBLEM IS THAT MOST ALL OF THE THINGS BEING OFFERED FOR SALE ON EBAY ARE NOT AUTHENTIC AND EXCESSIVELY HIGH SHIPPING AND HANDELING CHARGES ARE COMMON WHICH HAS JUST ABOUT RUINED THE MARKET FOR CHINESE WEAPONS HERE.
I FEEL THERE WOULD BE MORE INTREST IN COLLECTING GOOD CHINESE WEAPONS AND THAT THERE MUST BE A LARGE SUPPLY OF THEM SOMEWHERE IF THE TWO COULD MEET PERHAPS THERE WOULD BE MORE COLLECTORS OF GOOD CHINESE WEAPONS.
THE EXAMPLES YOU SHOW ARE VERY NICE CONGRADULATIONS, I ESPECIALLY LIKED THE KEN. ARE THERE MANY CHINESE WEAPONS WITH GOOD PROVENANCE OR HAS MOST INFORMATION AND HISTORY LOST AS IN MOST OTHER AREAS OF THE WORLD.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2005, 06:04 AM   #5
fengmodao

Default Thanking everybody

Thanking everybody , I feel being honoured , and am warm . We know here and get together , and am the fine desire of God , and hope that everyone can be happy .

Hi,VANDOO:
Hi,VANDOO knows that you like the China weapon , and I am happy . The weapon that China is founded after the government leastly has history in 5000 , several ten dynasties , different districts . Several ten thousand kinds of structure differences are made the weapon that the method is different , its development and evolution , and are abstruse , are worth studying , and it is interesting . Hope that more and more person like ! As for person who sells false goods , I despise , but on the other hand it also is one kind of challenge , is not afraid to it and despises it if you have full knowledge .
Fengmodao
Attached Images

fengmodao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Gt Obach

the inlay on the top piece is very nice... (specially the pattern)
- i like this the two top swords..
thank you for the post
Greg
Gt Obach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2005, 04:12 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hello Fangmodao,
I would like to welcome you as well, and thank you for the great swords you have posted! We very much need more input on Chinese weapons here, and what you say is absolutely correct...the best defense against the array of false antique weapons is knowledge!

I especially like the peidao sabre you have posted as it carries so much history and the mounts reflect its attribution to probably one of the higher princely degrees of the early Qing dynasty (began 1644) with the form being used well into the 19th century. These squared, angular mounts are termed 'fangshi' and reflect both civil and military use at that level. The quadrangular grip and the openwork trapezoidal pommel are also key to these type sabres. The discoid 'pan hushou' guard which on this example is beaded as also often seen on sabres mounted in this fashion, and typically en suite with the openwork pommels. It is notable that this type decoration is also associated with many key Tibetan swords, with that association seeming to carry influence in other elements of these mounts.

I always like these heavy blades with slight upturn of the point, which reflect the Turco-Mongol ancestry of these sabres. Eventually the blades gave way to the lighter blade forms, so it is often tempting to presume an earlier date for the wider, heavier examples, although certainly not always the case.

An excellent article written by Philip Tom in the "Metropolitan Museum Journal" (" Some Notable Sabres of the Qing Dynasty at the Metropolitan Museum of Art", Vol.36, 2001) gives a brilliant perspective on these and a number of Chinese sabres. An outstanding example of one of these peidao is shown also in "Ancient Weapons from the Collection of the State History Museum in Moscow" (1993, ISBN 5-900449-01-7, No.34, pp.70-71) which carries most of the same characteristics.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote