Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd July 2007, 02:23 PM   #31
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
But that is only one of the factors. As I wrote above, oral traditions are tools, and those tools get altered to do different jobs, depending on the needs to the community---or sometimes the needs to the "bigmen" in the community---the power elite.

The traditions, stories, myths, legends, and the belief systems that surround the keris are all a part of understanding the keris, so we do need to be aware of these. But we also need to be aware of the nature of man and his societies.
Very enlighting...

Actually, the keris world does need -- not only a "keris writer", but also a "contextual keris writer" (correct me if I'm wrong with this term). I am very impressed with people like the Australian Indonesianist historian, MC Ricklefs. His books on Indonesian history are fantastic...

Look at his book, "War, Culture and Economy in Java (1677-1726)". Also, "History of Modern Indonesia Since C 1200". If HJ de Graaf and Th G Pigeaud had provided accounts for the period from the fifteenth to late seventeenth centuries, Ricklefs' doctoral research concerned the latter half of the eighteenth century.

According to Ricklefs, The Kartasura period (1680-1745) seemed to have attracted no one's attention. So he decided upon a study of what he expected to be a relatively limited amount of material in order to write a brief narrative account of that period, "emphasising European-Javanese relations"
Ricklefs soon discovered that the sources for Kartasura were voluminous..

In my opinion, this keris world "attracted no one's attention". No serious study (academic study) was made on this keris world. I mean, not as spectacular as de Graaf, Pigeaud, PBR Carey and Ricklefs in writing on Indonesian history.. Am I wrong?

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:59 PM   #32
A. G. Maisey

No, you are not wrong, Pak Ganja, you absolutely spot on target.

Far, far too much of what passes for "keris knowledge" is popular belief, lacking any substantial foundation. Yes, it is valuable in helping our understanding, but not in getting back to the original concepts of exactly how, what, where and why the keris appeared and developed. To do this we need to look not at the keris, but at Javanese history, society, religion, art, and culture. We need to factor in the external influences on that society. The study of the keris is not just the simple thing of looking at an object and learning the current belief systems attached to that object.Not just being able to classify and categorise according to physical characteristics. Not just knowing the social niceties attached to the keris. To understand, or more correctly to try to understand, the keris we need to understand , or try to understand the entire cultural and societal fabric of Jawa.In fact, not just of Jawa, but of the region.

Of course, it is not incumbent upon anybody to undertake such a task. There is nothing wrong with being a collector, or an appreciator of art. Nothing wrong with looking at only the spiritual facets of the keris. Nothing wrong with approaching the keris in whatever way suits our own individual preference or direction. But if we wish to become a student of the keris and its development, we need to venture far into many fields that, on the surface, may appear to have very little to do with the keris.

Professor Merle Ricklefs is a great historian.My limited personal contact with the man has left a lasting and unfavourable impression of some of his other qualities, but as a historian, I rate him as brilliant. Additionally, he is very, very easy to read.Actually, he was born in the USA, but has lived in Australia for many years.If you enjoyed "War, Culture and Economy", you should also read "The Seen and Unseen Worlds in Java, 1726-1749". "Jogjakarta Under Sultan Mangkubumi" is also worth a read, but it is not as gripping as the Kartasura books.I personally believe that the Kartasura period is the key to understanding the present day belief systems that are attached to the keris.The Mataram era is important too, especially the way in which the rulers of Mataram strove to validate their right to kingship by manipulation of language and social mores. But Surakarta is pivotal.

As to the need for a serious academic study of the keris, I understand that a German Phd student wrote such a study with the assistance of Dietrich Drescher; I have no idea of its quality, or contents, but judging from the few comments that have been made by people who have a knowledge of it, I rather suspect it focuses more on the physical than on the metaphysical.

Another excellent work that can assist in understanding the keris is Pigeaud's "Java in the Fourteenth Century".It is a five volume, scarce and expensive book, and is probably not available outside university libraries, but time spent in its study is time well spent.

My alltime top recommendation to assist in keris understanding is Prof. Margaret Wiener's "Visible and Invisible Realms". Anybody who wants to gain some idea of what the keris might have meant in Bali prior to European dominance really should read this book.It is possibly the starting point to an overall understanding of the keris.This book is readily available and it is not expensive.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 03:59 AM   #33
ganjawulung

Dear All,
This following book is also interesting, relating to reading Indonesian studies. I got this book in a book flea market in Taman Mini Indonesia Indah (TMII) Jakarta a couple years ago. A book, containing of selected writings of a Dutch Scholar, B Schrieke on Indonesia, "Indonesian Sociological Studies" (in English). Published by Sumur Bandung or formerly NV Mij Vorkink-Van Hoeve, Bandung (1960). Actually there were many book about selected studies on Indonesia by Dutch Scholars. This book is only one of them.

Why Schrieke? Schrieke was a pioneer in many respects. And the English translation of the book, containing a portion of Schrieke's study on the Hindu-Javanese period on which Schrieke was working at the time of his death in 1945.

Some contents of the books, for instance: (1) 1300-1500: Javanese Trade and the Rise of Islam in the Archipelago, (2) The Sixteenth Century: Javanese Trade in the Portuguese Era, (3) The Seventeenth Century: The Downfall of Javanese Trade.

I think, it is contextual too, if you want to study the keris knowledge, and the spreading of keris throughout the Archipelago...

Ganjawulung
Old 1st August 2007, 01:47 AM   #34
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
May I ask what type of dapur of the last keris in the illustration - the one without the dagu and having a bowie-like profile? I never saw this dapur before.
Dear Penangsang,
Sorry for neglecting your long time question. That dhapur is "cengkrong". Every cengkrong has longer gandhik (dagu?), sometimes more than half length of the blade. Some cengkrong has luks too. But if with luks, you must mention the number of luks: cengkrong luk three, cengkrong luk five (according to Bambang Harsrinuksmo's ensiklopedi) until luk seven... The form of the cengkrong's ganja is different too..

Ganjawulung