Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th April 2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Guillaume

Default Small medieval bronze cannon

Greetings,

I have been following the posts here for quite some time and enjoy the exquisite array of knowledge being shared. My hobby is researching and recreating medieval casting technology using period methods, from belt buckles to hand cannons. Currently I'm working on methods from Birringuccios "Pyrotechnia" regarding various furnaces and mold-making techniques for casting bronze. I've cast a few small hand gonnes and signal mortars using medieval methods. These are just for my own amusement and not for sale.

To that end, I'm looking for some small medieval European gonnes/cannons that are bronze and weigh between 50 and 100 lbs and the rough dimensions for these (I see a lot of images but most dont have measurements).

I'm familiar with the Loshult , Tannenburg, etc smaller hand gonnes but am looking for something slightly larger.

For instance, I like the bāton ā feu as shown in this thread http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10270 but would like to know if it is iron or bronze and some rough dimensions.

Thanks for any input!

Guillaume
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 12:57 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Gillaume,
I suspect that the bāton ā feu you refer is well under the weight range you are dedicated to.
Here you find some more info on this area, including the name of the Castle/Museum where the bāton ā feu is exhibited, from where could possibly enquire about the details you wish to know:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10350

... I wonder if Cornelistromp reminds the material of the tube and the dimensions of the whole setup. In my imagination the tube material was iron, as i was under the influence of mounting my two examples following its style:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=castelnaud
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Guillaume

Thank you, I'll check it out. Really, anything under 100 lbs would do.
Old 30th April 2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
... I wonder if Cornelistromp reminds the material of the tube and the dimensions of the whole setup. In my imagination the tube material was iron, as i was under the influence of mounting my two examples following its style:
I looked at your excellent reconstruction quite closely when I was researching and thats what made me want to do one . The Castelnaud example seems to have a more fluid shape which makes me think it's cast. I will see about contacting them.
Old 1st May 2013, 12:26 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume
Thank you, I'll check it out. Really, anything under 100 lbs would do.
My tubes weigh 1,250 Kgs and 2,020 Kgs respectively. I might be out of reality but, my assumption is/was that the one from Castelnaud can not be much heavier .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote