Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 10th June 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
christek

Default Spanish sword ID help

Hello friends,
I am a new collector and hope to learn about and collect many swords. This piece is my first Western sword (I also have two tulwars). From what I can learn online, this sword appears to be a 1875 Spanish Officers sword. In my mind, it appears a little elaborate to be a proper fighting weapon, and it does not appear to match (in fighting qualities) some British and French officer swords of the same period. Could it be a ceremonial sword? Or am I wrong about everything here?
Attached Images

christek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 05:50 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Not such a surprise that your Espadin (small sword) does not have the look of a fighting weapon. Remember that in 1875 (even before) swords were already superseded by firearms and thus confined to ceremonial purposes; even in some cases and countries certain models kept having a less decorative and more lethal look.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 02:07 AM   #3
christek

Hi Fernando, thank you for the reply.

Yes that makes sense, there were even quite effective revolvers around at this period, which would have made the swords task a secondary one or to be used as a last resort in battle. I have found some old photos of Spanish Officers from the period 1885-1900 and their swords look very similar to my one.

1.Volunteer Light Infantry Captain: 1st. Company, Voluntarios de Matanzas, Cuba 1885-98

2 (with some colour) Volunteer Light Infantry Officer: Unidentified Company, Voluntarios de Matanzas, Cuba 1885-98
Attached Images

christek is offline   Reply With Quote