Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th June 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
mross

Default comments on ebay moro sword

Picked this up on ebay. It looked good to me. I would appreciate any comments both positive and negative regarding it. I am leaning toward 19th century, but the length strikes me as a little long. The laminations are great. When I opend the box I was not expecting much but; Whoa. It is very sharp and nicely balanced. The sheath is in sorry shape and was advertised as such. I currently have another restoration project under way when that's done I will be getting in touch with Battera to see what kind of magic he can work. I think the sword deserves it. Ok, enough rambling fire away. Sorry but I don't have any means to take pictures. When I get a digitial camera you guys WILL be sorry!

Ok here is the link;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Last edited by mross; 26th June 2006 at 03:26 PM.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Spunjer

Thumbs up

nice kris! and i concur with the seller, lol. maranao indeed. i especially like the lamination on that one. you can clearly see the excellent job that was done by the panday. as for the length, that falls within the average moro sword common in the 19th/early 20th century. also check the lamination on the gangya. notice also, how the separation line is curved rather than angled. normally it goes straight, then bends sharply at 45 degree, while this one just curves to the 45 degree angle. the scabbard is in bad shape, and battara is the man for that. got it for a good price, i see...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 02:37 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Good deal ...

Nice Maranao kris. Seems to fit the late 19th / early 20th C. period. Etching it will probably show an excellent pattern, much of which is partly visible already.

You got a nice sword at a very good price.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

A very interesting separation line ; I don't think I've ever seen a simple curve like that before .
Top notch Seller and very easy to work with; you'll like it when you receive it !

Congrats ; a great project piece .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 01:15 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice puppy. I agree with the other comments here. I will only add that the scabbard had a cross piece that has fallen apart. Would love to work on it whenever you are ready. (Thank you for your kind words ).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 03:14 PM   #6
mross

Looks like I may be a little slow on the subtle hints. I take it Spunjer was the seller? Unless of course there are more then one Moro sword guy in Chillicothe OH?! Battera, you are correct the cross piece is missing. I have tried to clean the wood up a little with Murphy's Oil Soap. The wood looks nice, I hope it is salvageable (even if the cracks are repaired and show, that's ok) Battera, I'll email you so we can start discussing this offline.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote