Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th April 2007, 02:41 AM   #1
BerberDagger

Default what is this dagger? indian?arab?persian?

hi to the forum members,
at home I have this dagger but I dont known anithing abaut it....do you know something abaut it?

is possible kirpan dagger?
Attached Images

BerberDagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 06:40 AM   #2
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerberDagger
hi to the forum members,
at home I have this dagger but I dont known anithing abaut it....do you know something abaut it?

is possible kirpan dagger?
Not sure, and hopefully someone more familiar with the genre will fill in the blanks, but this looks like one I saw described as a souvenir 'Victory' naval dirk, one that was mass produced ans sold to the public to celebrate Nelson's victory over the French. Originally there would have been a chain running from the quillion to the pommel. The etched panel should have 'Vixtory" on one or both sides. I also have no idea how frequently and in what quantity after-markey forgeries have been produced.
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 07:26 AM   #3
kronckew

these flooded ebay a few years ago, i fell into the 'naval dirk' trap myself. mine says 'pure steel' on one side, 'good luck' on the other. i believe they were originally sikh kirpan but were mislabelled and sold by the hundreds. mine has the chain, but i've seen them without, or with wood grip, the pommel may vary as well. the scabbard & decorations are distinctive and common to them tho it may come in other colours. there is a caveat on ebay somewhere that someone here pointed out to me.

mine:

Last edited by kronckew; 15th April 2007 at 10:18 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote