Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd April 2023, 06:09 PM   #1
Pitt1999

Default Thin kindjal

After obtaining my unusual (and my fiirst) kindjal that I displayed in a previous thread, I felt the urge to get more. I purchased this one recently and it too exhibits some unusual characteristics. When it is viewed from one of it's faces, it looks like a normal kindjal but when turned 90 degrees you can see that the blade and hilt are quite thin. It also lacks the rivet domes that I would expect on a classic kindjal. Although not all kindjal have these it is certainly a common feature. The rivets on my example are flush with the hilt scales, which are composed of an unknown material. The seller didn't seem to sure either so that will remain a mystery until I get the piece in my hands. The approximately 11 inch blade and 4.5 inch hilt seem to be of a normal size, so this was probably not made for a child/young adult. The engraving on the grip doesn't look familiar to my amateur eyes. An oddball in my opinion, but this is certainly not my area of expertise (not that I can claim to have one). These are the seller's photos, I will take my own if I notice something not present in the seller's photos.
Attached Images

Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2023, 09:59 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Hi,

Sorry to see you've had no interest or response about this piece.

From my perspective and the images available, I'd suggest this is likely a rival folk art example.

Not much help I am sure but that's all I can offer.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2023, 05:18 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I wonder what the handle material is; do you know?
It almost looks like some form of Bakelite.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2023, 09:05 PM   #4
cyten

the engraving style doesnt look familiar to any Caucasian style I have seen. Interesting piece
cyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2023, 04:52 AM   #5
kronckew

Looks more of a 'dress' knife than a user. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does it yhave a scabbard? If so, it may help ID it.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2023, 05:06 PM   #6
Bob A

The blade somehow doesn't impress; it doesn't seem that the maker intended this for serious social work.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2023, 12:23 AM   #7
Pitt1999

This dagger didn't come with a scabbard, so we are unable to use that as an identifying factor. When I held it the grip kind of felt like wood, I'm not at home at the moment so when I get back in the next couple of hours I will take it back out and look at it a little more in depth.
Old 17th April 2023, 12:55 AM   #8
Pitt1999

Forgot to post my findings yesterday, the grip scales do seem to be made of some type of bakelite/plastic type of material. In the recesses of the carving on the handle there seems to be traces of a gold colored substance. After testing with a magnet, the tang seems to only go down to the 2nd rivet. I don't think this would a piece sold to those who travel. I do imagine that this piece is of more recent manufacture though, 1950's or 1960's maybe.