Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 20th May 2010, 03:54 AM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile OLDEST REVOLVER ?

I VISITED WARWICK CASTLE NEAR STRATFORD ON AVON IN BRITIAN SEVERAL YEARS AGO. THEY HAVE A REVOLVER PISTOL SAID TO BE VERY EARLY IF NOT THE FIRST OF ITS TYPE. IT FURTHER STATED THAT COLT STUDIED IT WHEN DESIGNING HIS SIX GUNS. I WAS WONDERING IF THERE ARE ANY FORUM MEMBERS WHO HAVE VISITED THIS CASTLE/MUSEUM OR ANY LIVING IN THE AREA WHO COULD PERHAPS GET MORE INFORMATION AND PERHAPS PICTURES OF THIS PISTOL.
THE CASTLE IS FULL OF LOTS OF VERY GOOD STUFF AS THE OWNER WAS ON THE SIDE OF CROMWELL AND GOT TO KEEP ALL HIS STUFF AS WELL AS LOOT FROM THE WAR. A VERY CREEPY DUNGEON AS WELL AS A TOWER WITH ITS OWN GHOST ARE WORTH A LOOK AND THE GREAT HALL IS ESPECIALLY NICE, LOTS OF WEAPONS, ARMOR ECT.
HERE ARE SOME PICTURES TO WHET YOUR APPATITE.

(The fourth photo below - the long interior view down the table - is from floato's flickr page )
Attached Images

Last edited by Lee; 23rd August 2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: add photo cretit
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Berkley

It is generally believed that when Sam Colt briefly visited London in 1830 as a midshipman on the Brig Corvo he observed a flintlock revolver made according to the American inventor Elisha Collier's 1813 British patent.

Revolving firearms were made well before that time, as shown by this matchlock revolver from the Musee de L'Arme in Paris.

Colt's design employing the percussion ignition system was the first practical revolving cylinder multiple-shot firearm.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THANKS BERKLEY
THATS THE INFO I WAS LOOKING FOR. THE GUN THEY HAVE MAY HAVE BEEN OF THE TYPE COLT LOOKED AT OR ONE HE ACTUALLY EXAMINED ?? THE POST ON THE OTHER OLDER FIRE ARM JOGGED MY MEMORY AND MADE ME CURIOUS. THANKS AGAIN
THE CASTLE MAY BE MORE COMERCIAL THESE DAYS WITH RESANANCE FAIR TYPE ACTIVITYS AT CERTIAN TIMES OF YEAR. THERE WERE NO LINES WHEN I VISITED AND ONE WAS FREE TO WANDER WHERE YOU WISHED AND TO STAY AS LONG AS YOU LIKED. MUCH MORE FUN THAN SHUFFELING ALONG WITH THE CROWDS AT THE TOWER OF LONDON. BUT THE TOWER OF LONDON IS NOT TO BE MISSED REGARDLESS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 05:07 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

All right Barry, we have a deal. I will take both castle and weapons .

I could swear i have read that Samuel Colt made his first protoptype in wood, when aboard a ship; it was after this visit to London, then ?!

Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Berkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
I could swear i have read that Samuel Colt made his first protoptype in wood, when aboard a ship; it was after this visit to London, then ?!

Fernando
Exactly right:
Attached Images

Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default Revolvers at least as old as 1530-40 !!!

Here are two North Italian matchlock revolvers with three revolving barrels of ca. 1530-40, now presereved in the Ducals' Palace Venice and a Munich wheel-lock revolving dart shooting system of ca. 1550! Moreover a bundle of three North Italian revolving matchlock barrels, ca. 1530-40 and preserved in the Ashmolean Mueum Oxford since the late 17th century.

All these and many later systems as posted here have been known to Samuel Colt and at least 'inspired' him!

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

More.

Here now the images of the three barrel arquebus, ca. 1530-40, in the Museum Luigi Marzoli, Brescia.
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote