Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th July 2014, 08:14 AM   #1
weapons 27

Default small kaskara for comment

small kaskara, it measures 67 cm long

has you it was manufactured for a child?
Attached Images

weapons 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Iain

I have often wondered if many of these smaller examples are simply the result of making the weapon in a size that's easier for a visitor to take back with them... Compared to the usual length which is not particularly travel friendly.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Kubur

I dont think that is for a child.
I have seen the same Tuareg sword or tabuka quite short but heavy and well balanced for use /fight...

It is the same story with the crossbows and other weapons
If it is small: it is for children or women...
I don't believe that! My wife is short but I'm an old man!!
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 03:10 PM   #4
David R

A similar idea of making "traveller friendly" items crops up with early 20thC Jian from China.
However some people like a shorter blade for other reasons.... on "Great River" they compare some of these Jian to nickel plated small cal. revolvers. You wear them when going out on a social for self defence , 'cos the full size military grade item is inconvenient to carry.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

An interesting circumstance, the shorter blade or smaller features for swords presumed for youngsters, or so it would appear.
As with most matters, instances must be measured on certain merits and of course there were indeed smaller swords produced in many ethnographic cultures where young men learned martial skills as children. In certain cases in places such as India and Persia it is known such reduced size swords did exist, but those most readily come to mind.

In actuality however, it is best to consider not only the size of the blade, but other features in these situations. In this case the hilt appears to be 'full' size and it is interesting to note the blade carries certain talismanic image which is typically considered relevant to blades intended for combat or for the traditional use of an adult tribal figure.

As has been noted, the reduced size of certain weapons often may be attributed to use in more enclosed circumstances, such as in China where many dao and indeed jian, were much smaller for effective use in crowded city and town streets. This is of course in the sense of the naval cutlass, used on crowded decks where the melee was even more condensed than in land battles

With these kaskara, they were worn over the shoulder in a baldric type strap, though hung with the standard military type ring configuration on the scabbard in considerable instance. The kaskara in post Mahdiya times became a traditional accoutrement in much of Darfur and Sudan, and as such may well have been reduced in blade length .

I believe the presence of the snake and whatever other markings might be on the blade suggest it either is a Kassalawi blade shortened or in more unusual case actually produced in such size. There have been a good number of these smaller kaskara posted over the years, and perhaps a review of those may reveal perspective.

**a second look at this suggests this blade has been dramatically shortened
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote