Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th October 2017, 02:06 PM   #1
silberschatzimsee

Default Indian spearhead for comments

Here my second piece. A blue spearhead from india i purchased quite recently.

I liked it because of its colour, its in very good condition and i thought it must be rare. I tracked down 3-4 similiar ones prior and after my purchase to compare but sadly didnt find out much more yet. There is some hints that one is featured in a english catalogue from 2001 or so and since i am in London soon for more weaponary i will try to trace it in the libary for comparisment. Maybe its mine? Would be funny

Also there is one very similiar in a other collection but sadly the person never came back to my question.

It must have been mounted on a wooden pole at some time since there is still some sort of residue inside.
Would you say early 19th century, Rajasthan would be a place to put it??

Many thanks in advance
Attached Images

silberschatzimsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 02:13 PM   #2
silberschatzimsee

Here from all 3 sides
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello,

I know next to nothing about Indian weapons but when it's old like you think it was always handled with gloves and never used. I can't see any wear on this piece!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 04:10 PM   #4
silberschatzimsee

Yes it was never used. I would estimate that 95% of the blue and 100% of the koftgari is still present. Its has some minor scratches here and there but of course it cant be brandnew. I attached another picture that i forgot to post.
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2017, 04:43 PM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

It is a nice looking spear head, but I am sorry to say, that I think it is newer than you hope for.
There is a faint chance, that it was made in the 19th century, placed in an armoury, and never used, but dont count on it.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 03:20 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

I have seen a couple of these sold this year in auctions.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 05:43 AM   #7
silberschatzimsee

Here this are the ones i am aware of until now. The two in the middle i found yesterday, they are also from 2014.
Attached Images

Old 8th October 2017, 08:32 AM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by silberschatzimsee

Here this are the ones i am aware of until now. The two in the middle i found yesterday, they are also from 2014.
When it is sold to you as antique it is a fake, otherwise I would call it artwork.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 8th October 2017, 10:10 AM   #9
silberschatzimsee

Mayci asky how do you determine its a fake?
Old 8th October 2017, 10:41 AM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by silberschatzimsee
Mayci asky how do you determine its a fake?
Hello,

I've said "when it was sold to you as antique it's a fake". Like said before, I know next to nothing about Indian weapons but I think that I can see what it's old/antique. The spear head in question look very recent to my eyes, no abrasion at the koftgari work, no abrasion at the blued parts and the edges look like sharpened yesterday. Think about, when it would be a 19th century piece, it would be more as 100 years old! And when it would be old like this it would show clearly wear since it wouldn't handled in all this years with gloves like you do it now. And also when it is a presentation piece (what would be likely) it will show wear after all this decades! It's for sure very good artwork, no question, but when sold to you as antique it's done to cheat you and in this case I would call it fake!
Please understand me correct, I don't want to attack you but I think it's better to speak clear words as to tell you that you have bought a great antique item, sorry!
I am sure that all members here have done mistakes by buying items, sometimes very expensive learning lessons and I hope that your lesson wasn't a very expensive one!

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 8th October 2017, 09:22 PM   #11
Davinder Toor

Dear silberschatzimsee

Your spearhead was sold by Spink in the year 2000 and can be seen in their catalogue entitled Gopis, Goddesses and Demons.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Davinder
Davinder Toor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 11:06 PM   #12
A. G. Maisey

Detlef, I agree with you that this spear head is in very fine condition, and it certainly does not show the signs of age or of wear that we are accustomed to seeing in older items.

However, I have handled 300 and 400 year old keris blades that look as though they came off the work-bench yesterday.I have handled fine English firearms from the 19th century, that were in absolutely pristine condition. It is very difficult to determine age of any artifact from a photo.

Perhaps you might care to qualify your opinion in respect of this spear head, just a little?

Personally, my own opinion would run something like this:-

"based upon what I believe I can see in the photos of this Indian spear head I am unable to form any firm opinion as to age"
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 11:24 PM   #13
Sajen

Hello Alan,

you may be correct, I've seen this as well but most of the time in museums or in high end collections. And like said already two times before, I know next to nothing about Indian weapons. And the last thing I intended to do was to offend Silberschatzimsee.

So it is maybe better to say: "What I can see by his pictures I tend to believe that we see here a rather recent item!" And let me add that I hope to be wrong.

Best regards,
Detlef