Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th March 2014, 02:38 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default Incendiary device? Grenade? Or what?

I picked up this odd item a number of years ago (note in the second and third pic that the 'wick' and wooden cap are for show only) at an antiques mall with no provenance or explanation as to what it was. The item appears very old, is made of a light-weight black clay and while fragile, I can squeeze it in my hand without cracking it (i.e. It's not so delicate that it can't be handled). It is slightly bigger than a gulf ball and completely hollow. It measures roughly 2 1/2" tall and approx 7" total diameter. My hand gives a corresponding size. Now, the question is...what is it?

When I first bought it, it had a very old piece of cork stuffed in the top that crumbled away. I wasn't sure if I smelled any residue or not. I can't tell if it is scuffed or had weal markings on the outside at one time. Perhaps I'm being fanciful, but I think this is an incendiary carcass or stink pot/bomb? I think we can rule out a few things it's probably not. I doubt it held incense, candle wax or a plant! The bottom is completely round and it wouldn't have been practical as any of those type devices. As a container holding liquid, it would be very prone to spilling. I guess it could be a one-off pottery piece, but I can't imagine it would have been easy to make such a thing just for fun? It reminds me of the early grenadoes that were used by the buccaneers of old, but they were made of iron (same shape and even with a raised lip. See Warren Moore's 'Weapons of the American Revolution' ,pg 215, ex.A-166 grenade found at Fort Ticonderoga). What got me thinking about this piece was Matchlock's incendiary grenade thread with it's glass French bombs, which are similar, but much thicker. In use, this little item could have very well held a volatile liquid or even black powder. In Gilkerson's 'Boarder's Away', he mentions clay stink pots, so I thought this could be another possibility?

Has anyone seen anything like this? Was black pottery used for such things? Were there Spanish colonial grenadoes like this? What type of clay was used? Anyone want to weigh in on this odd piece?

Pictures to follow! Have to resize them!
Mark
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 18th March 2014 at 04:58 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote