Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th July 2023, 10:53 AM   #1
urbanspaceman

Default THE CROWN AND CROSSED SWORDS

The German Sword-makers of Shotley Bridge.
This started out seven years ago as a local-history lecture for a friend of mine.
Once I started research I realised the same erroneous story had been regurgitated over and over with only two or three chroniclers adding fresh information to the tale.
The more I searched, the more I realised why.
This had been a deliberate fabrication of a facade back in 1685 to disguise the true purpose of the enterprise.
I have made the resulting book a free download to the people of the village from the 'Shotley Bridge Village Trust' website until the BBC broadcast a documentary based on my research when it will become a hard copy companion publication.
In the meantime, anyone interested can download the complete book free as a pdf from here:
https://shotleybridgevillagetrust.com/
Attached Images

urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2023, 06:59 PM   #2
Hotspur

Terrific reading! Huzzah!
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2023, 07:48 PM   #3
urbanspaceman

Default response

Thank-you.
Old 7th July 2023, 06:35 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a remarkable study with insights into the English sword production industry from the early 17th virtually into the 19th century, and digs deeply into the dark corners that most references barely touch on. While I have been interested in this history which includes Hounslow to Shotley and on to Birmingham. I must say I never really understood how these were all actually connected.

I feel fortunate to have tagged along with Keith on some of these years of his research, in which I learned a great deal on these subjects through Keith, who is one of the most formidable and tenacious researchers I have known. I feel proud that he graciously included me as a co author , though I was learning more than contributing aside from my background with European swords in general.

These pages reveal a number of aspects of English sword making that have long been misunderstood or worse, ignored, one of the most intriguing that of the mark of the 'bushy tailed fox' which has always been presumed to have been that of Samuel Harvey of Birmingham (due to his initials SH often placed inside the marking profile).
As it turns out, Shotley Bridge, essentially defunct by mid 18th century, still had the Oleys from its heydey, and it appears that the 'fox' was likely the mark used by Shotley, in imitation of the famed running wolf of Passau.
In studies of the storied 'sword trials' of later in the century where the several known English blade makers put their blades to the test......the one name that appears in one noted reference, includes the name of "Mr. Oley"of Newcastle. His name evades virtually every other reference to English sword makers, but here he was, suggesting he was quietly supplying blades to Birmingham in all probability all along in some degree.

This is but one of the many 'intrigues' that Keith delves into, and shows the amazing dynamics of these typically only lightly noted aspects of English sword production. The history of Shotley Bridge and these regions that were populated by the mysterious Border Reivers in the diaphanous borders between England and Scotland gives us colorful insights into the 'X factors' in the understanding of the Jacobite issues and the dynamic campaigns that were far more complex than most realize.

This is not just rote history, but complex and dynamic intrigue and adventure explained in a way that Keith makes easy reading!

I am glad to see it shared here and hope will bring more attention to these important aspects of British history through this weapons production view.
Really looking forward to the documentary!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2023, 08:47 AM   #5
urbanspaceman

Default Response

Thank-you Jim... I really appreciate that.
I think you do not do yourself justice though... there was far more than your global encyclopaedic research facilities involved, there was also - along with Peter's - your decades of experience and understanding guiding a total novice in so many ways, often simply playing 'Devil's Advocate' to spur my determination to unearth the truth... so valuable.
It is such a broad story, so many attendant issues materialised and needed to be given attention... here again, you and Peter kept me right.
My follow-up project is - of course - the unresolved question of the hollow-bladed colichemarde; so I am hoping I can count on your guidance and knowledge again.
Many thanks to you both, Keith.

Last edited by urbanspaceman; 11th July 2023 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo