Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th October 2008, 02:20 AM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Two Beja Daggers on Ebay

Just picked these two mid 20th century daggers. I was looking for the hooked one to help complete my collection of these daggers. They seem to be tribally used and not tourist stuff.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 03:36 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

The one on the right is my favorite. Since it has silver on it, is it a noble's piece? Both are from Eritrea. Very nice.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 12:40 PM   #3
CharlesS

Battara,

I am curious as to what denotes these as Eritrean??
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

These daggers are more associated with the Beja and Hadendowa tribes who live in the Beja country an area which is to the west of the Red Sea hills and Port Sudan. Eritrea is to the south and east as seen on the map below and although there are Beni-Amer living on the border and in Eritrea I think these types of daggers are more Beja than Beni-Amer. I am sure there where some cross cultural exchanges though.

Lew
Attached Images

Old 6th October 2008, 05:12 PM   #5
Rod Charters

Default From Wikipedia

The following is from Wikipedia but don't know its correctness. Rod:

The Beja are found mostly in Sudan, but also in parts of Eritrea, and Egypt. They formerly were classified as belonging to the Hamitic race (a classification now generally regarded as politically and scientifically[1] incorrect).

Most of them live in the Sudanese states of Red Sea around Port Sudan, River Nile, Al Qadarif and Kassala, as well as in Northern Red Sea, Gash-Barka, and Anseba Regions in Eritrea, and southeastern Egypt. Other Beja ethnic groups are endemic to Egypt's Western Desert and to Yemen. Some Beja groups are nomadic.

The Bejas contain smaller tribes, such as the Ababde (or Ababda), Bisharin, Hedareb, Hadendowa (or Hadendoa), the Amarar (or Amar'ar), Beni-Amer, Shukuria, Hallenga and Hamran, some of them partly mixed with Bedouins.[citation needed] The European colonial masters and the explorers became fascinated with the Bejas which they often described in eulogistic terms.

The Bejas attach a high importance to their hair. Their prominent crown of fuzzy hair (called tiffa in their language) has characterized the Beja for centuries. Bejas believe that they are the descendants of a Lioness deity and her human consort. Egyptian Beja groups are believed to be the descendants of the Maahes Caste of High Priests of Amen and their Soldiers. Egyptian Priest-Kings Pinudjem, Psusennese and Masaharta are acknowledged as the patriarchal ancestors of Egypt's Western Desert Maahes by Egyptian Bejas.
Rod Charters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Also known as the FuzzyWuzzy but that was some time ago.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 10:37 PM   #7
asomotif

Fuzzy wuzzy indeed
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 09:12 PM   #8
Lew
(deceased)

The daggers arrived today and they are quite nice. I cleaned off the all the active rust and cleaned the silver.
Attached Images

Old 11th October 2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very nice examples Lew!!! and its great to see groupings like this that show the variations in these weapon forms.

A number of years ago I was discussing these interesting 'X' hilt daggers with a friend who was of the Beja, and from Eritrea. He noted that the Eritrean and Hadendoa forms typically had the curved blade, but emphatically insisted that the 'hooked' blade examples belonged to the Afar, from the Danakil region in Ethiopia. Naturally this may be simply his opinion, but he seemed extremely aware of the weaponry in these regions, and actually loaned me a video of Eritrean dance ceremonies. In these, the dancers were using various weapons, most memorable to me being the kaskara, and of course all the dialogue, singing and chanting was in the local language.

I recall being in my den while viewing this, and actually pretty much 'getting into' the music and dancing (though I did restrain myself from actually dragging out one of my kaskaras, recalling the deadly tulwar incident!).
My wife finally had to beg an end to my ceremony but it was really fascinating to watch!!

Just thought this might be of interest.

BTW, has anyone else ever thought about how much these hilts look like ancient Celtic anthromorphic hilts?

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Gavin Nugent

Thumbs up Good point Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
BTW, has anyone else ever thought about how much these hilts look like ancient Celtic anthromorphic hilts?

All the best,
Jim
Good point Jim,

I beleive over all there is something specific historically with Celtic influences in Northern African weaponry. One can also look at the Flyssa, put two back to back and you have the same shape as the Celtic swords.
here are just a couple of links for comparison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_sword
http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=62

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 02:20 AM   #11
Lew
(deceased)

Here is an interesting Celtic sword hilt (MODERN) for comparison.

Lew
Attached Images

Old 12th October 2008, 03:39 AM   #12
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yes very nice puppies, Lew. I sold one off several years ago, but might go for one like the silvered one you have. Very nice.

Jim, thank you for the info - very helpful.

I wonder - if it has silver, did it belong to a chieftain?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 05:48 PM   #13
Lew
(deceased)

Battara

Maybe not a chieftain but probably someone higher up on the social ladder.

Lew