Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th July 2016, 02:40 PM   #1
RDGAC

Default Ottoman pistol - need help with script on barrel

Hi chaps and chapesses, been a while!

We have here at the Museum come into possession of a number of firearms from the Royal Green Jackets' museum, among which is a pistol, listed in their books as "Albanian flintlock" and not much else. This is a Balkan (Ottoman) pistol with a standard-enough European flintlock (ungrooved steel), the typical Ottoman false ramrod, extensive silver wire inlay on the grip and wrist, and floral and geometric wood carving work on the stock. The barrel is octagonal and of around 18mm bore, of length 250mm, and decorated with silver inlay. In this silver inlay, there is very definitely some kind of text - but I have no idea what it says, or even what language it's in! I have uploaded an image of the text below; any help would be greatly appreciated. Further pistol pics will be forthcoming
Attached Images

RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 02:54 PM   #2
mariusgmioc

I think you should post a photo of the whole pistol and maybe one with more light to the text.

Regards,

Marius
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 04:53 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

Maybe the text is easier to see on this image. But do show the whole weapon.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 05:03 PM   #4
RDGAC

Blast you all, making me do some extra work! Currently the pistol is in pieces. Pics incoming, probably tonight or tomorrow.
Old 13th July 2016, 03:26 PM   #5
RDGAC

Pics attached below. Overall views of the pistol and some closer looks at the decorative elements.

The white stuff is a caked-on powdery substance, similar to metal polish, which I suspect to be furniture polish or similar applied a long while ago, and in far too great a quantity. I am currently endeavouring to remove this with white spirit and a lot of brushing with nylon toothbrushes, as it is (as you can see) quite hideous. It was removed relatively easily from the (nielloed) silver decorations on the barrel.
Attached Images

Old 13th July 2016, 03:28 PM   #6
RDGAC

Few more pics.
Attached Images

Old 13th July 2016, 03:28 PM   #7
mariusgmioc

Wow... what a beauty!

I wish I could tell you more about it, but my knowledge about Ottoman pistols is about zero.

Thank you for the photos!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 04:26 PM   #8
Oliver Pinchot

This is Ottoman work, probably made in Istanbul; what is visible in the photo is a crescent surrounded by stars, together with a Greek "M" and the date 1221 a.h. (1805/6 c.e.) and the usual dots and curlicues. It was likely made for a Greek patron. The overtly European style also suggests this.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 05:27 PM   #9
RDGAC

Hi Oliver, and thanks! So I can jam some of your massive knowledge into my own brain, what makes you say it's probably Istanbul work?
Old 13th July 2016, 05:50 PM   #10
Oliver Pinchot

Istanbul was the seat of government and the cultural center of the Ottoman Empire. As in any capital, quality of workmanship was highly competitive, and therefore typically of excellent quality. Istanbul craftsmen had both access to European models, and multinational clients, so the formal and decorative palettes were substantially broader than in many other locations there. Finally, Greeks were prominent in Istanbul society, thus the unusual juxtaposition of Ottoman symbols and characters with Greek letters is occasionally found there.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote