Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd November 2018, 05:33 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Comment?

Was revisiting some old friends and came across one of my favorites. I remember it was made by Empu Suparman, but my notes are filed away somewhere.

The pamor is striking. Three dimensional metal that looks in relief to the eye but flat to the hand.

I believe the PB is a tribute to Pakubuwono I (also as Pakubuwana). I would be appreciative if someone can help me with the details.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

That would be Pakubuwono X, he is still revered in Jawa.
A keris similar to your example with an X pamor pattern also chatoyant.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 22nd November 2018 at 06:57 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Bill M

Thanks for Pakubuwono X

Beautiful! The X pattern looks familiar. Chatoyant, chiaroscuro.

Looks like the Same Empu as mine.

Enjoying being back on the Forum!
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Good to have you back Bill.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:24 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

I can't remember what the "X" pattern made in the pamor is called. Here is my example of it though.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:18 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Bill, I believe you bought this keris from me in about 2002-2003. I definitely did not attribute this keris to Empu Suparman.

In fact Empu Suparman never made commercially, he made for members of the Surakarta Karaton hierarchy and for other dignitaries, he did not charge for his work but gifted his keris, and those to whom he gave his work reciprocated in turn, with a gift, sometimes with an item of value, sometimes with a service, occasionally with money. The gift always came later, so that it would never be seen as associated with his gift to the person to whom he gave the keris.

The wilah that forms a part of this complete keris is definitely a Surakarta production. This nginden type of pamor is primarily associated with Empu Jayasukadgo who worked as a Karaton Empu around the beginning of the 20th century, other empus and pandes copied his style, and this style of nginden pamor can be found in keris through to the late 1930's, and also in the work of the new generation Surakarta makers. This keris wilah could be from the late pre-WWII period, or from the 1980's, I doubt that it is any earlier, or any later than these periods.

Just as we cannot attribute this keris to Empu Suparman, we also cannot attribute it to Empu Jayasukadgo, the reason being that Jayasukadgo's work is well known and keris like this that could be attributed to Jayasukadgo would cost well into 5 figures in $US. Think in terms a brand new, good quality motor car. Very few keris collectors in the western world are prepared to pay the prices for which the highest level keris change hands in Indonesia, and Empu Jayasukadgo's work is ranked as Level One.

In any case, it is an exceptionally fine keris, and for the last perhaps 20 years I have not seen, nor been able to purchase anything as fine as this.

In respect of the dress.
This dress is all current era, post 1980.
The wrongko is gembol jati (burl teak) of a very high grade, the wrongko was probably made by Mas Agus Irianto, arguably the finest Surakarta tukang wrongko of the Indonesian keris revival period.

The pendok will be silver, probably .925, and is easily recognisable as the work of Mas Dayadi, who was the most highly regarded tukang pendok in Jawa up until the time of his untimely death perhaps 15 or more years ago. Nobody working today can come even remotely close to the quality of the items that were produced by these two craftsmen.

The use of the "PB" emblem is, as you say, a tribute to the Susuhunan of Surakarta whose title is normally abbreviated to "Pakubuwana" (pron. "Pakubuwono", the "A's" that have become "O's" should be written with a diacritic ring above them, but this is not possible on my keyboard, or most other keyboards, so we just need to learn when to pronounce "A" as "A" or "A" as "O", actually similar to the "o" in "oar"). When the emblem is "PBX" it is specific to Pakubuwana X (10th.), who was the Susuhunan of Surakarta from 1893 to 1939, and is a bit of a cult figure in Surakarta..

The jejeran could be the work of a number of people, if I had it in hand I might be able to identify the maker, but I cannot from a photo. From the profile, it looks like the work of Mas Wakidjo, of Jagolan, who was a Karaton deignated tukang jejeran, but I cannot be certain of this. The material is gembol jati.

The mendak is a stock fitting, middle high quality, probably silver and yakut. Maker unknown.

I do hope that these few comments will help to refresh your memory Bill. I regret that I do not have a record of this transaction, but I had a few keris of this quality back around 20 years ago, and I can recall most of them, simply because of their exquisite quality. In fact, I still have a couple as a part of my personal collection, as well as one Jayasukadgo tombak kinatah.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote