Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th August 2014, 02:50 AM   #1
S.Workman

Default A most interesting keris, with figure

Hello everyone, I recently became the delighted owner of this wonderful keris. It is from Bali, and has a figure sculpted in by a most skilled craftsman. It appealed to me because I practice yoga, and this little figure is in Anjali Mudra, so I had to get it…
Of course, I would love feedback from people more knowledgeable than I!
I am interested in any idea of what this may have meant to the original owner, or what it means culturally.
The photos were not taken by me but by the seller. I don't think that he would mind me posting them.
BTW, the pamor is incredible.
Attached Images

S.Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 06:26 PM   #2
S.Workman

Holy frijoles, no one can tell me about this fellow? Maybe the post went downstream too fast....
Old 19th August 2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Looks like a little rust at the tip you might want to address .
Maybe more specific questions would be warranted .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 11:14 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

The dress appears to be genuine timoho and it is excellent.

The blade probably dates from the second half of the 19th century and is more likely to be from Lombok than Bali, Bali is not out of the question, its just that manipulated pamors seem to occur more frequently in keris that are certainly Lombok. It is not an unusual pamor. The garap is very good.

The carving on the gandhik is very non-typical, in my opinion it is much later than the blade and has probably been added to the blade to enhance sale value.

In its original form it would have been a good, upper-middle quality keris which in Bali/Lombok at that point in time would have served as both weapon and for social necessity.

This is the type of Balinese keris that seems to have left Bali in the period between about 1920 and 1960, we must of course exclude the the period of the Japanese occupation, but it does qualify as the type of keris that visitors to Bali brought home with them during both the pre-WWII tourist period and the tourist period through to about 1960, or perhaps a little later. Even in the early 1970's old keris were being reworked in Bali to make them more attractive to visitors. In 1982 I bought an old keris with a re-worked gandhik in a photo-processing shop in Bali, it was the last reasonably priced keris I was ever able to buy in Bali.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 11:38 PM   #5
S.Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
The dress appears to be genuine timoho and it is excellent.

The blade probably dates from the second half of the 19th century and is more likely to be from Lombok than Bali, Bali is not out of the question, its just that manipulated pamors seem to occur more frequently in keris that are certainly Lombok. It is not an unusual pamor. The garap is very good.

The carving on the gandhik is very non-typical, in my opinion it is much later than the blade and has probably been added to the blade to enhance sale value.

In its original form it would have been a good, upper-middle quality keris which in Bali/Lombok at that point in time would have served as both weapon and for social necessity.

This is the type of Balinese keris that seems to have left Bali in the period between about 1920 and 1960, we must of course exclude the the period of the Japanese occupation, but it does qualify as the type of keris that visitors to Bali brought home with them during both the pre-WWII tourist period and the tourist period through to about 1960, or perhaps a little later. Even in the early 1970's old keris were being reworked in Bali to make them more attractive to visitors. In 1982 I bought an old keris with a re-worked gandhik in a photo-processing shop in Bali, it was the last reasonably priced keris I was ever able to buy in Bali.
It was said to have been a part of a collection that was very old. I guess this brings up the question of "authentic", i.e., at what point in a keris' life do changes become forgeries? Was there ever a type of decoration like this in that region? All the other figures I have seen seem to be more flat, almost like outlines.
As far as the pamor goes, I like it. I suppose if you have seen hundreds or thousands of keris, it may be no big deal, but I can certainly get lost in the pattern myself.
Old 20th August 2014, 12:24 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Well you chimed in Alan. I was composing my post while you were posting yours so you answered some of my questions while i was writing them.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 12:27 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Workman
I guess this brings up the question of "authentic", i.e., at what point in a keris' life do changes become forgeries? Was there ever a type of decoration like this in that region? All the other figures I have seen seem to be more flat, almost like outlines.
I don't think this is an issue of "forgery". Keris are often altered for legitimate cultural purposes so just because the figure on the gandik may not have been there initially that does not necessarily mean this keris is not "authentic".
Old 24th August 2014, 01:22 PM   #8
sirek

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Workman
All the other figures I have seen seem to be more flat, almost like outlines.
I want to share this Hanuman figure on my Bali keris, it is not an old keris but I liked how detailed Hanuman was made.
(and Hanuman is not as common as as the: singa, liman, naga)
Attached Images

sirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
The blade probably dates from the second half of the 19th century and is more likely to be from Lombok than Bali, Bali is not out of the question, its just that manipulated pamors seem to occur more frequently in keris that are certainly Lombok. It is not an unusual pamor.
Hello S. Workman,
I attach the pics of 2 blades with a similar pamor and identified as Uler Lulut (snake skin) according to the latest balinese kris book published by the Neka Museum. Yours may be called Uler Lulut Wengkon because of the clearly marked peripheral frame.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 11:21 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, to be truthful i was waiting to hear what a few others had to say first.
It is indeed a very attractive keris and i can understand why you were drawn to it. I would love to see a straight on shot from the front of the gandik and the figure there. I guess the first question that comes to mind is whether or not this figure was original to the blade.
Beautifully matched dress of timoho pelet wood.
And yes, i would attend to that rust. It looks very minor now and easy to deal with , but that can change quickly.