Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd June 2015, 11:47 AM   #1
alexikrol

Default Kaskara sword from Moscow

Hello.
In the large collection of oriental arms kept in the Museum of Anthropology of the Moscow State University there is a kaskara sword. There is a stamp W. Clauberg Solingen on the blade under the cross-guard and four Peter Munich stamps on the both sides of the blade. Inscriptions - suras from the Koran (48:1-2 and 3:169). It contains the date (1)102 AH which corresponds 1691. My suggestion is that the first number is 3. That would mean the date 1885 which perfectly correlate with the story of the sword (It was brought from Abyssinia in 1889).
I have two questions:
1. Is it possible that the Koranic verses and the date were copied from the older sword or the earlier date was engraved intentionally in order to increase the prise?
2. whether multiple scratches on both sides of the blade are traces of sharpening of it might be a try to imitate Damaskus steel?
Thank you in advance,
Alexei
Attached Images

alexikrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 12:39 AM   #2
Edster

Hello Alexi,

Welcome to the Forum. Its difficult to answer your questions without seeing photographs of the sword and markings. From what you have described, it is reasonable to assume that the blade is made by Clauberg (19th Cent.) and the Peter Munich-style marks were applied in Sudan as was the common practice. The sun and half-moon marks were common talisman marks, as were Koranic verses.

Munich was active c. 1595-1680. See attachment.
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/att...6&d=1044759177

1. Koranic verses were commonly applied during the Mahdist Era (c. 1885-1899 plus) and are not necessarily copies from earlier swords.
2. Without fotos all I can say is scratches are likely from repeated sharpening.

Please attach some pictures and no doubt others will add to my limited comments.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 01:11 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yes pictures of the whole piece are helpful and desired before bringing anymore comments.

Good questions though and more pictures would help in this discussion.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Welcome Alexei, and my compliments for your thorough description of the kaskara you are asking about. As has been mentioned, it very much helps to have full images of the weapon as often comprehensive details help us better place responses.

It is interesting what you suggest on the date inscribed as this would of course place the kaskara in the Mahdist period, and with the provenance described as from Ethiopia c.1889 this becomes more intriguing.

In March 9-10 of 1889, the Battle of Gallabat/Metemma (twin settlements in Sudan and Ethiopia) was fought between Mahdist forces and Ethiopian.
While the Mahdists were victorious, it was a costly victory as most of their most valued warriors were killed, as was Emperor Yohannes IV of Ethiopia.

If we examine the proper interpretation of the date on the sword, perhaps it is 1889 and commemorating the event?

W. Clauberg was a Solingen maker active 1847-into 20th century and of a sword making family there with other members also active. Most of the Clauberg blades found in Sudan have the armored knight along with the name, but the name alone also known.

The 'cosmological' devices as noted were often stamped on blades in the Sudan, and these were used in Europe in various cases. While often attributed to Peter Munich, he was among many using these devices.

I am unclear what is meant by these marks, dates are copied from another sword. Is there more to the question, another sword involved?

In most cases markings were applied in talismanic sense in the Sudan, however there is always the presumption that monetary value is of course a consideration in accord with that.

I hope you will stay with us and if possible add more photos and info. This is a most interesting query, and would like to know more.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote