Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th May 2010, 06:04 PM   #1
ganjawulung

Default PALEMBANG HILT AND KERIS

I have a problem with this Palembang keris and hilt. All I want to do is to clean the black-rusty blade with "kelapa" (coconut) husk. But unfortunately, the hilt is fixed firmly to the pesi. Too firm, and not possible for you to open or even to turn the hilt with your bare hand...

What would you suggest me to do: (1) Must I open the hilt first (2) but how to open such firm fixation? Or (3) just submerge all -- blade and hilt -- to the "blandongan" full with coconut husk? (4) Or clean the blade, without unfix the hilt? How?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Ganjawulung,

do you have tried to heat the blade? Most of the time I have had success by this. Heat the blade and try careful to move the hilt. Sometimes you have to repeat this many times until the hilt become incoherent.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Moshah

Salam pak ganja,

Could u post some close up pix of that lovely hilt?

Is it ivory?
Moshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 09:00 PM   #4
kai

Hello Pak Ganja,

Beautiful hilt - very expressive fangs! Sure looks ivory.

The hilt could be still fixed with resin - heat will easily do to remove the blade.

The pesi could also be heavily corroded and rust holding the hilt in place. Although there is a chance of damage, it would IMHO still be better to remove it, especially before soaking it since water and rust won't do any good and there's a chance that the hilt may get cracked from accumulating rust eventually.

Are there any cracks visible close the hilt's base? If not, it should be pretty safe to apply gentle heat to the sorsoran area (holding the hilt/selut with a heat-resistant glove helps to avoid heating the hilt). When hot, gently try to twist the hilt. If it doesn't move, let it cool completely and reheat/cool several times. I'm sure you've utilized this procedure quite a few times already...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 10:51 PM   #5
ganjawulung

Thanks Detlef, Moshah and Kai,

For this time being, I still keep it like it is. With the hilt firmly fixed. IMHO, it is not ivory but "duyung" or dugong hilt. You may look at the different brownish and yellowish colour of it. Images below, are different views of this hilt. The size, it seems bigger than usual...

I will try the last step to open the hilt. Then, what would you suggest the way to clean the blade without unfixing the hilt, please?

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2010, 11:27 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Pak Ganja, removal of a firmly fixed hilt is not usually a problem.

If you use a candle or small kerosene lamp for the heat source, there is no possibility of doing damage to the hilt, provided you are reasonably careful.

I suggest that you should work with bare hands, so that you can feel how hot the blade and hilt become during the process, this will safeguard against over heating.

I can understand your caution with attempts to remove the hilt on this keris. I have had two Palembang tangs break while attempting to remove a rusted on hilt. I suspect that perhaps the adhesive that they used to use in that area may have had a corrosive effect.

If this were my keris I would try the heat first, but I would not exert excessive force in trying to twist it off.

If you are bound and determined not to remove the hilt, the blade can be cleaned by repeated brushing with a mild acid, and rinse with water. Freshly squeezed lime juice will do it.

It would probably be a good idea to coat the selut with nail polish, and to wrap the hilt with plastic cling wrap before you start. The nail polish will come off easily with acetone, when you finish the job.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 07:14 AM   #7
kai

Quote:
IMHO, it is not ivory but "duyung" or dugong hilt.
Forgot to comment earlier: Ivory is a general term and includes other tooth from animals like dugong, walrus, hippotamus, etc.

P.S.: It would be great if you could invite more Indonesian keris collectors to our little warung kopi! We all realize that the language barrier can be a challenge. Every contribution would be valuable and appreciated though!

BTW, are there any good translation services like babelfish that cover English to Bahasa Indonesia or Malay?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Unkiemonk

Hi all,
Hoping this thread may find some new activity as it touches on carving styles of the Lampung region. I acquired what I believe to be a late 18th century south Sumatran war canoe prow some time ago and have had some degree of trouble confirming its place of manufacture. After stumbling across this thread and references to hilts of the Lampung region in Gaspard de Narval’s ‘Ukiran’, the stylistic similarities between the prow and the Jawa Demam hilts of Lampung are the closest I have yet identified. To me, the spiral eyes and wing motif are the most similar stylistic traits to that seen on the Lampung hilts, though this may be way off the mark.The shortage of texts on Lampung carving styles/motifs has left me a little frustrated, so I was hoping for any and all suggestions or thoughts on the prow, including suggested reading.

Any thoughts on tribal origin, motif (Garuda?), symbolism, type of timber (Teak?), or age, would be greatly appreciated. Some incised decoration depicting a bull/buffalo, centipede and possibly a scorpion appear on the neck of the prow (unsure of their symbolic meaning).
Many thanks,

Unk

[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/67622735@N06/6152721025/[/IMG]

Unkiemonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 05:07 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Oh, i see you already saw this thread.
I believe most of these hilts are either Palembang or Cirebon, not Lampung.
As for you attachments, they need to be added directly to this site via our Manage Attachments button. Thanks...

Last edited by David; 19th September 2011 at 09:01 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 12:29 AM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation

^^^
This .
We need pictures for the archive; not links .

Links die and then the thread becomes useless .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 03:33 AM   #11
ganjawulung

Default More display

More on Palembang hulu and keris...
Attached Images

Old 6th October 2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
More on Palembang hulu and keris...
Hello Ganjawulung,

very nice handles and blades! Are the pendokos on the left and right old or new ones?

Best regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote