Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th December 2011, 02:58 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A cavalry sword ... still in time for Christmas

So this guy visited me last Saturday, to show me a sword belonging to a friend who wishes to get rid of it.
I look at it and asked the price, but he says it must be me to offer. I advance with a figure and (through the phone) the owner immediately accepts ... as long as i pay in the moment ... in cash.
This is why i went (again) beyond the expected Christmas budget and brought in this 'non looked for' addition to the house 'furniture'.
According to the books this is what the Spaniards call a mounted sword for cavalry model 1796, with barquilla con vela (boat and sail) guard.
Looking to the descriptions and images available, it is an exception that the grip copper wiring is 'caged', not by the usual rigid iron bars but also by twisted wiring, this in brass.
However and for me the great novelty is that the blade is a typical French one, made in the famous Manufacture de Klingenthal. I can trace blades for these swords being imported from Solingen, but not from France; i am trying to get comments on this situation from a Spanish expert i know.
The inscription on the blade spine shows it was made during the Imperial period and the inspection poinçons (MOUTON and BEAUMARETZ) confirm its production date, that of 1803.
Although the sword model is named 1796, the date of 1803 was apparantly the first year of its appearance in the forces; the Spanish swords nomenclature functions that way.
This blade its rather lengthy, with its 93 cms, same as those of Spanish standard for this model; only that the basic version is double edged and this Klingenthal specimen is single edged, with two wide fullers ... like those in curved sabres, but in this case straight, with only a vestigial curve near the tip.
Please enjoy the pictures ... and post some comments, if you feel like .

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote