Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th December 2004, 03:57 PM   #1
BluErf

Cool Pandai Saras from Kelantan/Narathiwat

Just got this keris. A Kelantan/Narathiwat Pandai Saras.

Note the huge proportion of the ron dha on the kembang kacang and the unusual janggut on top of the kembang kacang and the greneng on the aring side. The deep ron dha on the kembang kacang seemed to be unique to kerises from the Kelantan/Narathiwat area.

The nearly full-circle incisions in the janggut is usually found in the middle part of the kembang kacang of other N. Malayan kerises I've seen, but in this case, its near the top. More unusually, it is replicated on the greneng on the other side. The greneng is also the most 'inorganic' I've seen. In other cases, the greneng seemed to replicate leaves.

The aring ends with a razor-thin 'flap' that curls nicely downwards. Very unusual too. Its very thin, but sturdy. A nice touch, I'd say.

I have a pet theory on the greneng -- notice that only the top ron dha and grenwng are fully formed, and as we move down towards the aring, the ron dha and greneng seemed to 'melt away' into more indistinct shapes. I hypothesize that this was by design rather than due to wearing down of the greneng.

1. This is because the overall good condition of the keris and the completeness of the perabots suggests that the keris had not been subject to much rust/corrosion.

2. Another hint comes from the fact that the overall profile from the top of the greneng to the aring is very 'smooth' and in harmony. If it had protruding greneng for the 2nd and 3rd ron dha, it would probably have broken that profile.

3. Finally, the 1st ron dha is the most distinct. The 2nd one sort of 'sinks' into the profile further, and becomes slightly flatter, though the 'w' outline is still visible. The last one is the most indistinct, like 'fading' into nothing. So the overall design could be one of ron dhas rising out from 'nothingness'.

Well, I could be wrong. What do you think? A result of corrosion?

Anyway, I also attach pics of my Pattani Pandai Saras for comparison. Notice the difference in luk style, greneng and perabots. But both blade belongs to the same family.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2005, 04:44 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Intersting piece. I would not say that the lower part of the ron do is due to corrosion, but is designed that way (does not look like corrosion to me).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2005, 04:53 PM   #3
BluErf

Hi Battara, glad to hear from you. I think I can guess what is going through your mind, and probably the minds of other forumnites, when they see this keris. "Interesting" is a neutral adjective to use on this keris, and 'weird' probably hits closer to heart.

I had similar reactions when I 1st saw a Kelantanese keris. I thought the greneng looks funny, sometimes like they're on steroids, and the kembang kacang looks like it will snap anytime due to ron dha incised nearly all the way through it.

But as time goes by, the style gradually works its way into my psyche, and I begin to appreciate the beauty of it. That's also why I wanted to post this keris for all to see -- to show that apart from the world of Javanese, Balinese, Bugis and Moro kerises, there lies another family of kerises with its own distinctive flavour.
Old 1st January 2005, 06:15 PM   #4
nechesh

Well Kai Wee, i'm glad it was you who said it. Truly this is a very "interesting" keris which deserves your attention and a place in your collection. I'm glad you showed it to us. For me, it just doesn't meet with my person keris aesthetic, which is much more Jawa/Bali oriented. But this is a very subjective matter and in no way is meant as a slight to your keris. It just isn't to my tastes. I do, however, like your second example very much. The lines flow better for me and the overall experiece is much more pleasing to my eye. But you make a good point about the distinctiveness of this style as opposed to the Jawa, Bali, Bugis and Moro type of keris. Thanks for showing and say as weird as you are.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2005, 06:04 AM   #5
BluErf

Finally, a Sunday morning with no rain and sufficient sunlight for me to take my archival photos. We've been having day-long drizzles for quite a number of days, and way too much morning rain.

Here's the 'whole package'.

The hulu pekaka is of wood, and to my knowledge, quite rare (compared to marine ivory ones). I bet its because wood ones disintegrate more easily than marine ivory ones. Unfortunately, this example of mine is on the rough side. At least its the correct form.
Attached Images

Old 19th January 2005, 02:59 AM   #6
Raja Muda

Default Pandai Saras

Congratulations on owning a beauty, especially one with a genuine aged sarung of good kemuning and hulu. Still, somehow I think the Jawa Demam in this piece is a bit stiff (Kaku in Malay), it lacks that anima I like to see in old hilts of the same style.
I acquired one Pandai Saras luk some time ago, though just the blade, the fittings are new ones by Shukri.
Just wondering, is it just my tired eyes or is the Kelantan/Naro blade's gandik area is a bit narrow compared to other Pandai Saras luk?
Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 12:11 AM   #7
BluErf

Hi Raja Muda,

The sampir is made from ketenggah, not kemuning. There are no tell-tale white lines of the kemuning on this sheath.

As for the gandik, it is indeed shorter, and it's relative small size is exaggerated by the broad kembang kacang and because the gandik is 'recessed' into the dapur. This is a style I find in a number of Kelantan/Narathiwat kerises that I've seen.

As for the hulu, not only is it kaku, its also kekok. I'll replace it the moment I get a decent hulu pekaka. The hulu is not matching with the rest of the piece.