Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 16th November 2008, 02:29 AM   #1
Iliad

Default French Sabre for I.D.

Hi everyone, I am getting brave, this is my 4th venture onto the site! This time I shall appreciate any info I can get on a French Sabre, purchased from a dealer who said it dated from the 1820's and had been used in North Africa. The edge has nicks which may indicate battle use, or a clumsy owner.
The pics which I shall attempt to attach show:the letters "L G" which may be the initials of an owner; a tiny B in a circle (very hard to photograph!); on the inside of another bar there are "44", a star and what may be an anchor, and another "B".
Thanks to all in anticipation of your assistance.

Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 03:08 PM   #2
celtan

Seems to me like a French Napoleonic sabre mod. AN XI, used by light cavalry such as Chasseurs (Hunters), Dragoons and Hussars. Obviously made in Solingen, and yet I find it strange not to see the date of manufacture inscribed on the blade's spine...

Nice saber!

Manuel Luis
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Jean B.

It is indeed a French An XI light cavalry sword. The blade was made in Solingen during the French control period by Kirschbaum, Schimmelbush and Company, and it was hilted in Klingenthal - see the stamp of Krantz (K under star), Bick Jean-Georges (B with laurels) and cursive B for Bisch Joseph Ambroise.

The letters LG on the hilt probably means "Leib Garde" (garde du corps - body guards in German). The swords was probably made for the guard unit of one of the German states of the Rhine Confederacy (1806-1813). These states were allies of Napoleon until the German uprising of 1813.
Krantz was the military Inspector of Klingenthal from 1812 to 1814, this allows to date your sword during the period 1812-1813.

Nice sword.

Jean
Jean B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 12:51 AM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Brian,
I have sent you a PM.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 06:43 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Very nice piece Brian, and some very informative replies to your questions.
Lets see some more of your goodies!
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 03:25 AM   #6
Iliad

Default French Sabre for I D

Many thanks to those who replied to my enquiry. Much appreciated.
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 04:41 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean B.
It is indeed a French An XI light cavalry sword. The blade was made in Solingen during the French control period by Kirschbaum, Schimmelbush and Company, and it was hilted in Klingenthal - see the stamp of Krantz (K under star), Bick Jean-Georges (B with laurels) and cursive B for Bisch Joseph Ambroise.

The letters LG on the hilt probably means "Leib Garde" (garde du corps - body guards in German). The swords was probably made for the guard unit of one of the German states of the Rhine Confederacy (1806-1813). These states were allies of Napoleon until the German uprising of 1813.
Krantz was the military Inspector of Klingenthal from 1812 to 1814, this allows to date your sword during the period 1812-1813.

Nice sword.

Jean

Jean,
Thank you so much for this perfectly detailed assessment! These are truly beautiful sabres, and with this detailed history, a verifiably important Napoleonic piece.

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 07:59 AM   #8
Jean B.

By the way, I have a translation problem: what is the most appropriate English term equivalent to "Garde du Corps" when a regiment is concerned?
Maybe "Life Guards" is more appropriate than "Body Guards" ?

Pity for the poor alien

Jean
Jean B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 05:49 PM   #9
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean B.
By the way, I have a translation problem: what is the most appropriate English term equivalent to "Garde du Corps" when a regiment is concerned?
Maybe "Life Guards" is more appropriate than "Body Guards" ?

Pity for the poor alien

Jean
I guess the correct english equivalence would be "Corps Guard" ... referring to the Guard of determined Corps.
The term corps also exists in english and is used in Army structures.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote