Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th August 2019, 03:32 PM   #1
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
p.s.- my Balkan/Romanian 'greek' shepherds knife or karakulak yat, 24 in. blade, small ears, integral bolster.
I am curious about the Romanian attribution - can you explain?

Thank you,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2019, 06:42 PM   #2
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
I am curious about the Romanian attribution - can you explain?

Thank you,
Teodor
I bought it from a Romanian dealer in Bucharest who got it from 'somewhere in the mountains'.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2019, 11:29 PM   #3
TVV

Quote:
I bought it from a Romanian dealer in Bucharest who got it from 'somewhere in the mountains'.
I would not trust the dealer, unless the mountains were to the south and he had to cross the Danube Bridge to get there.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 01:10 PM   #4
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
I would not trust the dealer, unless the mountains were to the south and he had to cross the Danube Bridge to get there.
I agree: dealer descriptions are notoriously unreliable and often frankly misleading.

Golden rule: Buy the object, not the story:-)

Could some Romanian shepherd get a Bulgarian karakulak or some Romanian village bladesmith make a “novelty” example? Possible. After all, there was and still is a common border between Romania and Bulgaria, although their status within the sphere of Ottoman influence differed.
But as a rule, different ethnicities and/or tribes tended to create weapons according to their deeply ingrained national/local traditions.

For me, the most stark example of it is the difference between kindjals from Meghrelia ( Samegrelo) and Guria. Both are tiny Western Georgian principalities next to each other. But the Meghrelians wore small to medium length narrow kindjals with sharp points, suitable for stabbing, whereas Gurians had gigantic wide ones with somewhat rounded points,- almost short swords, good for slashing. And I do not even start enumerating differences in decorative arrangements!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 01:35 PM   #5
ariel

Kubur,
You are correct: there are Yataghans with blades of different length and configurations( curved, straight, recurved) and different handles. There was also a term yataghan bichaq, a short bladed, usually eared one.

The Ottomans were never as pedantic as the Japanese, with their “ katana- wakizashi-tanto” that differed only according to the length of the blade. And, to be even more anal-retentive, they had ko-wakizashi and o-wakizashi for the in-between cases.

The variability of Yataghans was bewildering, and because of that ( pure IMHO) we define a yataghan as such strictly on the basis of general gestalt: at least one of the parts is a typical one. Highly subjective, but dictated by the reality.

There are some sources that claim definition of Yataghans that served as swords ( kilij) to have their blade lengths only around and above 70 cm. The rest were allegedly yataghan bichaqs.

How about ko-yataghan kilij and o- yataghan bichaq. :-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 04:16 PM   #6
kronckew

The Katana boys get worked up about the slightest detail of construction,steel types, layering, patternings heat treatment boundary forms, and have a billion terms for them, before they even get to the mounts and grips. Bit like the Keris people here

Is a european yataghan bayonet a yataghan? or not, just because it was capable of being mounted on a rifle tends to put purist's knickers in a twist. How about a Yat bayonet turned back into a sword? (I bought a really cheap 1866 french yat bayonet, the Horn handled hunting sword yat fits it's scabbard perfectly. I now have a yat bayonet spare...scabbards are harder to find than the bayonets...
Attached Images

Old 11th August 2019, 05:45 PM   #7
Kubur

Quote:
Is a european yataghan bayonet a yataghan?
Well the bayonet chassepot is described as yataghan.
Look I have a yataghan with a chassepot blade.
The circle is completed...
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 04:19 PM   #8
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
He did mention Bulgaria if I recall. My car is named after the original name for the area. (Dacia) Bulgaria/Romania, all relatively modern names for the area which has been fought over and name-changed for millennia.
Old 11th August 2019, 05:40 PM   #9
Kubur

Quote:
Mmmm it's what i say if someone ask me where i found my mushrooms...
It's synonym of "mind your own business"
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote