Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th May 2012, 04:46 PM   #31
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Thanks. I mentioned before, it is nice to see these Visayan weapons finally getting some recognition, as I do believe the originals are more rare than Moro weapons, and are crafted just as well. BUT, I just wished I got in to this collecting game sooner, as I feel I don't have enough fine examples, and now the prices are going through the roof.
Yes, you are write what think and feel as well!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 04:50 PM   #32
Sajen

Quote:

I don't think I ever looked in to what the shape of the handle represents. Is it a bulb? Now I am curious. I just have to add also, that when I grasp mine in my hand, it actually feels awkward, since the pointed downward edge of the wooden handle pokes against the meat of my thumb on my palm. The whole ergonomics of the sword and the canted edge would make you think there was a lot of thought that gone in to this sword to make it as natural feeling as possible. But that very pointy wooden handle against my palm...Can't image how they could fight like that with it being in the way. It does feel unnatural...or am I missing something here?
It is the same what I have when I take my one in the hand. Are our hands maybe to big?
Old 15th May 2012, 05:09 PM   #33
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
i did mean to hilite in my earlier post that sajen's original posted photo was likely 'flipped' digitally somewhere in either epray or elsewhen. my post above was the original poster's photo re-flipped to turn it back into a right-hander, which i assumed it really is.
I haven't flipped the pictures and don't think that the ebay seller has done it. So my believe is that it is a left hand garab.
Old 15th May 2012, 05:10 PM   #34
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho
When prices of previously ignored items start to move up, nicer specimens begin turning up in the market. I think that's what is going on in the case of garabs. Info on this forum has also contributed in raising the prices. I recently acquired two fine garabs with dates on the scabbard. I was familiar with the existence of dated garabs because of previous posts in this form, so when this pair was offered, I did not hesitate.

Very nice ones, can we see some bigger pictures?
Old 15th May 2012, 10:11 PM   #35
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho
When prices of previously ignored items start to move up, nicer specimens begin turning up in the market. I think that's what is going on in the case of garabs. Info on this forum has also contributed in raising the prices. I recently acquired two fine garabs with dates on the scabbard. I was familiar with the existence of dated garabs because of previous posts in this form, so when this pair was offered, I did not hesitate.
Wow! Thanks for sharing Nacho!
I wish mine had a date.

Do you think ours were made by the same smith. The design, particularly the scabbards, are just so close to looking exactly alike.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 10:13 PM   #36
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
It is the same what I have when I take my one in the hand. Are our hands maybe to big?
Possibly our hands are to big. They say the average height of a male native of the Philippines in the early 1900s was 5'3". I'm 5'8. Maybe Ill have my wife try it out, shes 5'2", see how well it fits in her hand.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 07:32 AM   #37
nacho

Default Same maker?

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for sharing Nacho!
I wish mine had a date.

Do you think ours were made by the same smith. The design, particularly the scabbards, are just so close to looking exactly alike.
Hi Dimasalang, I agree our swords are probably made by the same smith. And here is another one posted in 2005 by CharlesS. This one has a date of 1899. Am sure made by the same smith too.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 07:37 AM   #38
nacho

Default oops forgot to attach pic

Here is the picture I referred to
Attached Images

nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 01:20 PM   #39
Sajen

Here a very nice talibon which was offered by ebay but didn't sold.
Attached Images

Old 30th June 2012, 06:09 PM   #40
Battara
EAAF Staff

I thought about getting this but I felt the price too high with the repair at the toe of the scabbard (which does not match the carving of the rest of the scabbard).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 09:35 PM   #41
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I thought about getting this but I felt the price too high with the repair at the toe of the scabbard (which does not match the carving of the rest of the scabbard).

Have had the same thoughts! But when I look to the price the first garab shown in this thread have reached with a broken toe.....