Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th August 2021, 05:15 PM   #1
Interested Party

Default Keris Minangkabau by

The forum has been quiet lately so I would like to ask a book question while we have time. Has anyone seen, or better yet read, this book Keris Minangkabau by Basuki Teguh Yuwono and Fadli Zon? How is it?
Attached Images

Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2021, 12:11 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Just a note...
I have just moved another book related thread to the swap section, so a brief reminder. DISCUSSION of books, their content and merit, criticism, etc. is permissible material for threads in this forum. However, NO discussion on where and how to obtain said book is allowed as NO commercial content is allowed in either the Keris, Ethnographic, European or Miscellaneous Forums on the Vikingsword site. ALL commercial posts belong in the swap forum. So please be aware of this as we proceed to discuss this book.
I, for one, have not read this book. Is it available in English?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2021, 01:25 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

As far as I can see it is in Bahasa Indonesia.

I've looked at a few things that relate to this book, and as with so many other keris books that have been published in recent times, I did not buy a copy.

But that's me.

Other people might well be able to find value between the covers.

It was published about 5 years ago.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2021, 06:46 AM   #4
Loedjoe

Any improvements at the following attempts at translation of the chapter headings would be welcome.

Yuwono (Basuki Teguh) & Zon (Fadli). Keris Minangkabau (Fadli Zon Library, Jakarta Pusat, 2016). Includes, verso of titlepage, a list of the museums (8) and collectors (5) from whose collections photographs were taken; pp. xxiii-xliii, glossary; 1-65, ch. I, Minangkabau Pusat Budaya Keris Rumpun Sumatera [Minangkabau Cultural Centre for keris of Sumatran origin] ; 66-149, ch. II, Ragam Jenis Keris Minangkabau [various kinds of Minangkabau keris] ; 151-77, ch. III, Latar Belakang Sejarah [background history of] Keris Minangkabau; 178-325, ch. IV, Visualisasi [i.e. many photographs of] Keris Minangkabau, including, 184-5, names of parts of the sheath, and 186-91, names of parts of the blade, with photographs, and, 295-305, ninety hilts; 326-73, ch. V, Bahan [materials used for] Keris Minangkabau, including, 345-61, descriptions and picture of types of wood 374-420, ch. VI, Fungsi dan Peran Keris Bagi Masyarakat Minangkabau [function and role of the keris in Minangkabau society]; 421-30, bibliography; 438-42, appendix, a table of 'Nama-nama kerajaan yang berhubungan dengan Minangkabau' [Royal names associated with Minangkabau]. With many good colour photographs, a mixture of full page photographs, and smaller photographs in the margins of many pages, with, for most of them, a brief description, and the name of the collection; some outstanding keris are included, e.g. pp. 106-7, Keris Siginjei; 140-1 Riau keris as in Jessup; 177, Keris Kyai Singkir, as well as a good number from Banjarmasin, Sulawesi and many other parts of Sumatra. With a few photographs of men wearing keris, 19th-20th cent.
Loedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2021, 05:56 PM   #5
Interested Party

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Just a note...
I have just moved another book related thread to the swap section, so a brief reminder. DISCUSSION of books, their content and merit, criticism, etc. is permissible material for threads in this forum. However, NO discussion on where and how to obtain said book is allowed as NO commercial content is allowed in either the Keris, Ethnographic, European or Miscellaneous Forums on the Vikingsword site. ALL commercial posts belong in the swap forum. So please be aware of this as we proceed to discuss this book.
I, for one, have not read this book. Is it available in English?
David, this thread was opened purely for discussion. I have not read this book and I was hoping for opinions of people who had. I have not found it in English. My project for this summer was to teach myself to read Bahasa Indonesia. It started well, but other than translating bits of the EK I have not had the time I thought I would.....

Alan, Thanks for the comment. Appreciated as always. I believe I understand your feelings as Solo being the heart of keris culture and others being imitations or shadows. Somehow I am drawn to north coast Java and Sumatra Keris the same I am pulled into the dark places of a wet forest. There is a magnetism that I feel. An emotional response to the art. I appreciate the precision of Solo, but not being part of the culture it's forms are harder to grasp. East Java vegetational forms are also intriguing. I've been looking at true Janggelan hilts. As well as a Putrasatu.

Loedjoe, Thank you for the synopsis of the contents. It was helpful and the most information I have seen on this book.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 01:04 PM   #6
Marcokeris

I red the book or...(perhaps is better! ) I saw this book (I don't know Bahasa). IMO it's a good book full of nice pics of nice keris and hilts....and the price of the book is very good (not expensive)
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2021, 06:06 PM   #7
Jean

Wink

I did not buy the book when it was published because the main author is Javanese and very prolific, and the second one is a rich collector & politician but maybe I was wrong and I will buy it if I can find an opportunity as the books about Sumatrese krisses are very scarce and I like them very much.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:39 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

My reasons were similar Jean.

I have never met the Javanese gentleman concerned, but I did know one of his teachers very well, and that combined with information from various other sources has caused me to form my own opinions.

I have read more than a little of the Javanese gentleman's writing, and he is a good --- no, a very good --- writer. But regrettably his writing does not say very much. He is a clever businessman, and a brilliant promoter. Altogether, a first class example of the 21st century man. I admire his initiative and I can only wish him every success.

But his approach to keris culture differs quite a lot from my own. I have limited time in which to address those things that interest me, this means I have virtually no time to address those things that do not interest me, and the contents of this book are of very little interest to me.

The co-author of this book is of Minangkabau ethnicity and is a very prominent Indonesian elite. Well educated, very talented, an accomplished writer, an outstanding example of the cultured elite class of modern Indonesia.

I perused this book, I did not buy it because it really had nothing to offer me. I really do not need another book full of pictures.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote